[NFBK] Thoughts to Consider

Jayne Seif jayneseif at att.net
Fri May 5 16:13:02 UTC 2023

In light of the conversation surrounding the National Federation of the Blind’s decision concerning Twitter, Iwanted to share some personal thoughts and reflection.

As an organization it is not only our responsibility to think about ourselves, but to stand up against companies that choose to ignore human rights. Apart from access issues Twitter is no longer doing an adequate job creating a safe space as they also dismantled their human rights team and others in the infrastructure that monitor bullying. Incidents of those with disabilities being bullied have risen substantially. Including comments by Musk himself.

If as an organization we are striving toward recognizing the intersectionality in everyone and addressing issues surrounding this for members, we cannot be silent. If we do not stand up we become complicit in saying that this is ok.

Right now for some of you this seems like a small thing, but if we do not respond in a decisive way now what do we do when it effects us to a greater degree.

If we have learned nothing over these past two years, we have learned the power of a collective voice to stand up for what is right and to make sure that all people are and continue to be treated with dignity, respect, and love.

Jayne Seif
She/Her
President, National Federation of the Blind of Kentucky