[Nfbkpbc] Braille Clerk Position Continued

Nickie njp at insightbb.com
Fri Apr 23 16:43:45 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbk-bounces at nfbnet.org]On Behalf
Of Cathy
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:26 PM
To: NFB of Kentucky Internet Mailing List
Subject: [Nfbk] Braille Clerk Position Continued

Hey Mario, Buffa and Interested Others,

Buffa you should tell Sarah to apply. There is nothing that says you have to
be certified much less know Braille. Thanks for the tips on where to look
for good candidates.

Mario, I cannot tell you what the starting salary would be. My best guess
would be for an entry level clerk with no experience the hire would start at
a grade 3 level 1 with pay around $20,000. I am sure if someone has
experience with Braille and other office duties they would start at a higher
pay rate. Because I had experience transcribing and managing an office I
started at a grade 4 level 3 or 4, I can't remember which. If I were going
back my salary would be about $31,700. Remember this pay is based on 220
days/44 weeks which isn't bad. The benefits are pretty good as well. If the
position should suddenly become a transcriber's position a pay rate would
have to be established since this position does not currently exist. If it
remains a clerk's position and the duties remain the same a blind person
could perform most of the tasks without a problem. One would have to figure
out how to enlarge books using a standard copy machine. There is going to be
another opening to consider. The VI clerk position at Van Hoose will be
vacated. Emily is retiring August 1. Two visually impaired individuals have
held this position in the past. I don't know the duties but I know there is
a lot to learn. The pay rates I gave you would apply to this position too.
Again, Prestina would be the direct supervisor. If
anyone has any questions about all of the duties of my job I will be glad to
talk with you in more depth.

Cathy