[Nfbktad] new member

John Glisson jglisson at independenceplaceky.org
Tue Feb 21 18:07:05 UTC 2012

Hey Phil,
I've already responded to this e-mail but will again here because I'm so tickled to find your e-mail here.  Grin.

On a different and more serious note, however, I believe I have failed to post information regarding the Senate Bill 87 in this 'TAD' listserv!

Please do call 1-800-372-7181 (LRC Message Line) and voice your support for Accessible Electronic Information Services expansion in KY by supporting Senate Bill 87, and request your message to be sent to both your State Senator and Representative and also and most importantly at this moment the Senate Committee on Natural Resources & Energy where the Bill currently rests.  It doesn't need to rest here, become lathargic and simply pass away... SB 87 needs to be called up for a vote and moved on through the legislative process.

Help us out, Brother Phil and others looking in on this - clearing my throat, Uh - cough - Duh 'Technology Assistance Division' ... Smiley faces...

Senate Bill 87 is all about making print materials available to the blind, visually impaired, learning disabled, physically handicapped, etc. Such information is currently being administered to Kentucky through the KY NFB-NEWSLINE(R), which is a newspaper and magazine reading service via the touch-tone telephone with 300 local, state, national and international newspapers, 40 magazines, TV Programming Listings, Career Builder Job Search capability and much much more simply by dialing a Toll Free number and punching the number one wants to read desired publications or perform desired functions.

The phone call to voice your support only takes 30 seconds or so ... Your address and phone number are optional, though some who answer the phone do attempt to induce such information.

Nervous?  No need ... A bunch of people with disabilities in the noisy confines of Culver's restaurant in Lexington last night had the LRC staff rolling in laughter as we attempted to voice our support!  One did become a bit snappy as a Mom tried to voice her daughter's support, and her daughter is basically nonverbal, coupled with LRC rules about the person talking for him/herself and the background noise; this particular scenario was a bit testy.  Smiles, but all worked out ok.

Just make your call ... and request family and friends to follow suit ...

If we don't do it, it ain't likely to get done!!!

2 aspects of this service keep me doing all that I for one can possibly do in KY: (1) children who are eligible for this service but denied the magnificence of it simply because it's new and innovative (All educators in Kentucky have heard about the Newsline service for the past 10 years!!!  I can't imagine their denying our youth who are eligible the opportunity to read, job search, discover TV programming, conduct global research, etc. totally independently!!!  It almost seems/feels like people do not want our KY youth with disabilities to excell or at least have the opportunity to access information.) and (2) Our men and women of the Armed Forces who return home blinded, visually impaired, brain injured, confused and often a combination of factors that render one unable to continue to use printed materials!

I would like to learn of the reason that our Kentucky leaders actively deny the availability of accessible electronic information services.

Sincerely,

John g.