[Nfbktad] Resources

Todd scorpio62 at windstream.net
Wed Apr 24 01:25:31 UTC 2013

Thanks so much, Kevin!

Cheers,

Todd

From: Nfbktad [mailto:nfbktad-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Pearl
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:59 PM
To: NFB of Kentucky,Technology Assistance Division
Subject: Re: [Nfbktad] Resources

Hi Todd,

Here are a few:

KATS Networks:

 <http://www.katsnet.org/> http://www.katsnet.org/

The KATS Network, the Kentucky Assistive Technology Act Program, serves Kentucky residents of all ages with disabilities of all types, their families, employers and employment service providers, educators, health care and social service providers, and others seeking information about assistive technology (AT) and accessible information technology.

NFB Technology Resources List:

 <https://nfb.org/technology-resource-list> https://nfb.org/technology-resource-list

The National Federation of the Blind brings this Technology Resource List to you. Through our International Braille and Technology Center for the Blind (IBTC), we are constantly gathering information about Braille and speech technology. This list is our way of sharing some of that information. It is advisable to purchase extended warranties and/or maintenance agreements for this specialized equipment. Most products are returned to a repair facility or the original manufacturer for repair. When it becomes necessary to service the large Braille embossers, a repair technician may need to come to your site. These repairs can be very costly, making the cost of extended warranties and maintenance agreements a good investment.

Blind Cool Tech Podcast:

 <http://www.blindcooltech.com/> http://www.blindcooltech.com/

Podcast for and by blind technology users and enthusiasts.

Top 25 Web Sites for Games Who Are Blind:

 <http://www.7128.com/top25/topsitesblind.html> http://www.7128.com/top25/topsitesblind.html

AFB Using Technology:

 <http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?Folderid=2&Sectionid=4> http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?Folderid=2&Sectionid=4

When you think of technology from the perspective of people with vision loss, you can think of two broad categories:

1.	General technology: such as computers, smartphones and cell phones, GPS devices, etc.
2.	Assistive technology: items designed specifically to help people with vision loss or other disabilities, including everything from screen readers for blind individuals <http://www.afb.org/ProdBrowseCatResults.asp?CatID=49>  or screen magnifiers for low-vision computer users <http://www.afb.org/ProdBrowseCatResults.asp?CatID=39> , devices for reading and writing <http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?FolderID=2&SectionID=4&TopicID=200>  with low vision, to braille watches <http://www.afb.org/ProdBrowseTaskResults.asp?TaskID=273&SpecID=26>  and braille printers <http://www.afb.org/ProdBrowseCatResults.asp?CatID=45> .

AFB's goal is to provide you with the information you need to learn about available technology and even discover new ways to use technology to enhance your everyday life.

Blind Podcasters:

 <http://www.whitestick.co.uk/podcasts.html> http://www.whitestick.co.uk/podcasts.html

Podcasting is the buzz word just now, so here is a list of Podcasts produced by blind people, plus a few suggested by listeners.