[Nfbktad] Touch typing and keyboard

April Brown aprilbrownwrite at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 12:55:13 UTC 2013

     I will explain why I have to raise the back of the keyboard and leave
it at that.  I may be 40, my hands and body think they are 90.  If I don't
raise the back of the keyboard at least two inches, I can only reach the
space bar, and maybe, the bottom row of letters.  My wrists do not angle in
that strange way type upside down.  The keyboard is now sitting on two
boards to raise the back.  They slide too much.  Having the keyboard raised
has nothing to do with vision, and everything to do with being able to reach
the keys properly.

April Brown

Writing dramatic adventure novels uncovering the myths we hide behind.

April,

>From what I hear you saying in this message, you are relying on your vision

that doesn't exist to use the keyboard. Also, raising the "back" of the

keyboard is absolutely the wrong the thing to do. Just because they put

those legs on it doesn't mean that it is correct. Those legs are because

people have a crutch of needing to "see" the keyboard.

It takes a lot of practice to be able to touch type. I learned touch typing

back when the only thing electric on the typewriter was that it had a return

key.

Your keyboard should NOT be moving as much as you describe unless you have

some other reason for being unable to keep it still.

If you practice for an hour every day in proper techniques, you will develop

muscle memory for touch typing. I actually had an extremely difficult time

using on screen keyboards when they came out because I did not know where

the keys were because I could not touch type. My fingers know where to go

and the only keys I have trouble with are the top row numbers because my

fingers are short (had this problem when I was learning in high school). You

really do need a structured program for learning to touch type. It will

teach you to learn the letters and then learn to put them together in words

so that when you type you think in words and not letters. I type about 70

wpm and have done so since leaving high school.

I hope you find some of this helpful.

Cindy Sheets

---