[Nfbktad] FW: Computers for the Blind

Gatton, Tonia (OFB-LV) Tonia.Gatton at ky.gov
Thu Sep 26 17:23:57 UTC 2013

Forwarded Message:

Tonia

Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to introduce you to Computers for the Blind (CFTB).

Who we are:

Computers for the Blind (CFTB) is a non-profit 501(c) 3 volunteer organization located in Richardson, TX.

What we do:

We provide accessible computers to persons who are blind and visually impaired so that they can have:

-The independent ability to conduct activities of daily living such as personal reading, management of finances, and maintenance of household records.

-Personal and private communications with friends, family, health care professionals and business associates.

-A virtual learning environment where information resources are just a finger-tip away.

-Improved employment opportunities through the development of knowledge, skills, and marketable abilities.

How we do it:

We collect donated laptop and desktop computers from businesses and individuals. Skilled volunteer computer technicians wipe them clean and install screen reader software (NVDA). Upon request we provide larger monitors and/or a trial version of Zoomtext. The full version is available for $200. E-mail and word processor software are part of the software library along with simple accessible tutorials on how to operate the accessible software. We currently ship about 70 computers a month throughout the country and have already shipped over 6,000 computers. We ship a minimum Dual Core 1.8 GHz, with1.5 GB memory and 80 GB hard drive. Occasionally we are able to ship Pentium 4 3.0 GHz systems.

Who can get a computer:

Anyone with a visual impairment who is serious about using it and is willing to commit to the learning process. The cost to the consumer is $100 for a desktop, $150 for a laptop. They make perfect Christmas or birthday presents from family and friends.

These computers are ideal for persons who want/need a computer but the purchase of one through a state vocational rehabilitation agency is currently not available. We  can we partner together to meet the needs of your consumers/clients.  Please consider referring us to someone who could benefit from one.

For general inquires or to request a computer contact us at:

Computers for the Blind

214-340-6328

info at computersfortheblind.net

Please share with others in your networks.

Respectfully,

David Jeppson, COMS, M.Ed

Executive Director
Computers for the Blind