[Nfbktad] Playing TV Audio through PC Bose Sound System

Terrie Terlau terrieter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 22:34:37 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I am very much knowledgeless about anything related to home theater
syhstems. I want to check out something that I was told by a Best Buy
salesperson before I go out and buy things that won't work. I have a Bose
sound system for my Windows 8 pc. I was told that, if I have a TV with an
HDMI poart, I canb connect it to the PC with a HDMI to PC cable. I was told
that then I can play the TV through the PC which is set to play through the
Bose sound system. I was told that I would not need specific software  on
the PC to do this.

Because I found the above very hard to believe -- things usually aren't that
simple -- I tried Google searches and also looked up HDMI to PC cables on
Amazon. Everything I read talks about playing movies on the computer through
a HD Tv and getting great video on a larger screen. Nothing talks about
going the other way: playing audio from a TV through a computer sound
system. So I am hoping that one of you can shed some light on this for me.
Do you know of a way to get a TV to play through a PC Bose sound system? The
Bose connects via USB, not with O connectors or 3.5 mm jacks.

I have had terrible luck with my PC TV Tuner card -- I install the card and
the software, and it works for one or two TV watching sessions, and then it
totally doesn't work. I uninstall, reinstall, and again it works for one or
two TV watching sessions, and then it does not work. So I have given up on
the idea of TV cards and am looking to buy a TV that I can hopefully make
play through my good sound system.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone can offer.

Best,

Terrie TErlau