[Nfbktad] Workflow App: Usable with VO, and Worth It

scorpio62 at windstream.net scorpio62 at windstream.net
Thu Jan 1 23:21:04 UTC 2015

Awesome!!

Thanks for sharing, Tonia

Todd

From: Nfbktad [mailto:nfbktad-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Gatton, Tonia (OFB-LV) via Nfbktad
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:08 AM
To: NFB of Kentucky, Technology Assistance Division
Subject: [Nfbktad] Workflow App: Usable with VO, and Worth It

Forwarded Message:’

Hi all,

You may have heard about the recently released Workflow app, which provides automation for iOS. Here's the AppleVis page for it:

http://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/productivity/workflow-powerful-automation-made-simple

I've spent a few days with it, and once I worked out how to use it, it became possible to make workflows. There are VoiceOver bugs, but the developers want to gather feedback and fix those. I'm hoping an update in the next few months will make what is already a usable app into one that is easy and fun, just as it is for sighted people. Even now, though, it is possible to make workflows.

The one I just completed is a vibrating timer. You give it a value (6 or over) and it vibrates your phone ad intervals to let you know how much time has passed. It vibrates twice when a quarter of your time is gone, twice again halfway, twice again at three quarters, three times when you have one minute, and finally four times when time is up. A friend on Twitter gave me the idea, and he uses a similar setup to silently keep track of the time during speeches, meetings, etc. So long as you know how long you have, this can use vibrations to keep you on track.

What I just described sounds like an app, but it's not. It uses the Workflow app to run, but it sits on my home screen and I can launch it, type in my time and off it goes. Workflow allows you to automate saving or downloading files, making or sharing calendar appointments or reminders, emailing, and tons more. It's currently $3, and if this is the kind of thing you're into, I suggest picking it up. The app is, as I said, currently usable with VO if you work around the issues it has, but the team is seeking feedback from VO users and hopes to improve things in the near future. I'm not part of this app in any way, I just really like what it can do and wanted to spread the word.

--

Have a great day,

Alex Hall

mehgcap at icloud.com