[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] Audio Description at museums

mary jo hartle mjhartle23 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 20:33:37 UTC 2015

               Hi all,

I am  trying to find out about any of the museums in D.C. or here in MD.
Which offer descriptive tours (the kind with descriptive audio headsets or
handsets-not a dosent tour) .  Sometimes these pop up and we don't hear
about them.  For example, I just learned about the handheld device and
descriptive audio offered at the National Aquarium.  I used it last  week
for the first time and was pretty impressed.  Anyway, do any of you know of
any in the D.C. and MD areas, namely at the Smithsonian's?  According to
some brief searching online, I only see that the International spy museum
and the White House were listed four the D.C./MD/VA areas, but I know from
personal experience that Mount Vernon also offers one, in addition to the
Aquarium as I mentioned.  So, I'm wondering if any of you know of new places
offering this that maybe some of us have not heard of yet?  If so, would you
mind sharing?

Thanks,

Mary Jo Hartle

P.S.  The new AMC theater in Towson , offers description headsets for movies
there-so long as the movie has an accompanying descriptive audio track.
We've used it and it was pretty great.  I suggest however that you bring
your own headset as the ones they provide are the large ear muff style and
if you wear them, they tend to muffle the original sound from the movie.
Just FYI.