[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] Washington Seminar Events

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 21:08:06 UTC 2017

Hello all,

If you are not at a Congressional appointment, we need your attendance at
the student rally. Read President Riccobono's message below. There will also
be an interesting class on Sunday, January 29 that you may wish to attend.
Read the second message below.

Student Rally:

Fellow Federationists,

What do we want? Equal access! When do we want it? Now! The time has come to
have high expectations for blind students in post-secondary educational
settings-we seek to aim high. For too long we have pushed and pulled and
fought with inaccessible technology, but we are no longer willing to
tolerate this inequality, so we say "don't deny."
The United States Capitol Police have just confirmed our demonstration
permit for Tuesday, January 31, 2017, so if you have not already done so,
please make plans to attend our NFB student rally for equal access. I know
some of you will be unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, but I hope that
if you are planning to participate in our 2017 Washington Seminar, and will
not be in an appointment during this time, that you will join us to demand
equal access for blind students in classrooms nationwide. If you know of
blind students or interested supporters who will not be participating in
Washington Seminar, please encourage them to join us to aim high for blind
students on January 31.

We'll gather at the Upper Senate Park, located on the west side of the
Russell Senate Office Building along Constitution Avenue, between Delaware
and New Jersey Avenue, and our rally will begin promptly at 12:00 p.m. No
one moves a policy agenda like the National Federation of the Blind, and I
am confident that with our love, hope, and determination, we will encourage
members of Congress to promptly move our AIM HE legislation along with all
of our other legislative priorities for 2017. It's time for Congress to
#DontDenyAimHigh!
Spread the word: Let's have the largest gathering of blind students ever on
the capitol grounds. Let's demonstrate to all the importance of this issue.
If you have questions about the rally, please contact Gabe Cazares at
gcazares at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2206.

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org
<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

"MANY COMMUNICATE- FEW CONNECT"

"Don't miss this unique opportunity for professional development. Whether
you are a student, a young professional, or well along in your career, you
will benefit immensely from these two workshops."
Rules of Engagement - If you have ever been stymied by the prospect of
attending a networking event or a reception, you're not alone. Walking into
a room filled with dozens of people who you have never before met can be
overwhelming for new entrants to the workforce and established professionals
alike. This program will give you ten "rules" that will help you make the
most of any Washington D.C. business-social event, including how to prepare
for and navigate the events, and most importantly, how to follow up and
build relationships with your new important contacts.

Communicating with Style - Some studies suggest that fully 85% of your
success is directly linked to your ability to effectively communicate. Yet,
few professionals receive any formal training in basic communication skills.
This highly interactive 90-minute program is an introduction to
communication styles. Because your communication style is based, in part, on
your behavioral style preference, we'll use the DISC assessment tool to help
you identify your individual behavioral style preference. Then, we'll turn
our attention to the people with whom you work and give you some clues to
help you identify their behavioral style preferences, too. Highlighting
points of commonality and potential conflict, we'll focus on adjustments
that you can make to enhance your communications with others.

Mary R. Crane. Esq.

A graduate of George Washington University's National Law Center, Mary Crane
practiced law and lobbied in Washington D.C. for nearly ten years. Working
first for the American Petroleum Institute and then with the American Heart
Association, Crane specialized in non-profit tax issues. In the early 1990s
she decided to pursue her life-long fascinations in food and wine. With
these interests in mind, she spent two years exploring the world of
gastronomy at the prestigious Culinary Institute of America, from which she
graduated with honors. Crane further gained certification as a sommelier
from the Court of Master Sommeliers London, England. Immediately thereafter,
she began work as an assistant chef at the White House. Crane left the
professional kitchen and approached law firms with her innovative program,
"The Rules of Engagement." That seminar provided participants with the rules
they needed to successfully work receptions and navigate the more formal
dining setting.

Since then, Crane has expanded the training programs she offers to include
many of the other practical business skills all professionals need to
succeed. Her programs cover a broad range of skill sets including: getting
the most out of networking events and receptions, managing business lunches
and dinners, communicating effectively via paper or e-mail, interacting
effectively with other behavioral styles at work, bridging the generation
and gender gaps, and working ethically. Crane's clients include many Fortune
500 companies and more than 50% of the AmLaw100.  She is a frequent speaker
at national conferences, and has appeared on 60 Minutes, Fox Business News,
and ABC Radio. She makes monthly guest appearances on Let's Talk Live, a
Washington, D.C. televised ABC-affiliate program. Crane has also been quoted
extensively in a variety of print and electronic media, including The New
York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes.com, Fortune.com, and CNN.com

This highly-anticipated seminar will take place on Sunday, January 29, 2017
at the Holiday Inn Capitol located on 550 C Street SW Washington DC in the
House Room to be held at 3:00 to 6:15pm.
Please join us with this world renown speaker who will be offering her
expertise at a nominal fee of $15 for each 90-minute session or $20 for
both.
Sponsored by the Potomac Chapter/National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia and the DC Affiliate.

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.