[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] July 29th Housing Action Day

latonya phipps phippslatonya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:56:30 UTC 2017

Good afternoon,

I hope everyone is having a great summer and finishing their packing
for cconvention.  Below, please find the press release for Housing
Action Day to be held on Saturday July 29, 2017.  Safe and affordable
housing affect all of us in some way and particularly affect the 70%
of us who are unemployed or underemployed.  As Federationists, we know
how to make our voices heard!  Please consider attending and share
this event with others.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 29, 2017

Maryland Advocates Rally July 29th from 11:30am to 1:00pm in McKeldin
Square to Call for Greater Federal Investments in Affordable Homes and
Community Development

CONTACT: Sarah Sorensen, ssorensen at innow.org, 240-898-2183

BALTIMORE, MARYLAND – Hundreds of advocates, elected officials, and
concerned Maryland Citizens are participating in the national Our
Homes, Our Voices week of action from July 22-29 with a rally and
press conference to bring attention to the affordable housing crisis
in our community.  Advocates are concerned that Maryland will lose
$173 million in President Trump’s current budget proposal, reducing or
eliminating programs for people with disabilities, low income families
and seniors.

The rally and press conference will take place on Saturday, July 29th
from 11:30 to 1:00pm at McKeldin Square located at 101 E. Pratt Street
in Baltimore.  Everyone is invited to attend and hear from housing
advocates, community leaders, and individuals who will be impacted by
funding cuts. Find our event on Facebook by visiting
https://www.facebook.com/events/153252358556458/

In Maryland and across the nation, far too many families– including
low income seniors, people with disabilities, veterans, and families
with children – struggle to keep a roof over their heads or are
experiencing homelessness. More families are renting than ever before,
and our nation’s investments in affordable housing have not kept pace.
As a result, rents are increasing everywhere. But, because of
underfunding, three out of every four families in need of housing
assistance are turned away.

Instead of reducing our nation’s investments in affordable housing, we
need to make a bold and sustained commitment to ensure that everyone
has a safe, accessible and affordable home. Because when we invest in
affordable homes, we invest in people, our communities, and America as
a whole – from increased employment and economic mobility to improved
health and better education.

Best,
Latonya Phipps
TLC Chapter President