[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] Call to Action: Opposition to H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act —Call Your Representatives

Ringlein, Ellen ERinglein at nfb.org
Mon Mar 20 20:20:21 UTC 2017

Dear Federation Colleagues,

President Riccobono issued the following call to action today: Opposition to H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017.
As you know, we ask members from time to time to contact their representatives in Congress in support of legislation that would benefit the blind community. But today I am calling upon all Federationists to contact their representatives in opposition to H.R. 620. The phone number for the Capitol switchboard is (202) 224-3121. From there, simply ask to be connected with your representative. In addition, please call the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Robert Goodlatte, at (202) 225-5431.

Here are some brief talking points to share with the offices of your representative and Chairman Goodlatte: (1) the ADA was enacted in 1990, so covered entities have had ample time to learn about and comply with the law; (2) the ADA already contains an “undue burden” provision to protect covered entities when the costs of making facilities accessible are too high; and (3) Title III of the ADA (which applies to public accommodations) does not allow monetary damages for noncompliance.

The National Federation of the Blind has joined with 216 other allied civil rights organizations in opposing this bill. You can read our joint letter at https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/sign-on-letters/comments_on_hr620_03162017.pdf. If you want to know how this bill would affect us, consider internet access guaranteed under the ADA and our comments filed with DOJ last October<https://nfb.org/ada-title-ii-internet-regulations-joint-sanprm-comments> as just one example.

Please reach out to our federation friends without email access and ask them to make these important calls as well.

Cordially,

Ellen Ringlein, President
Greater Baltimore Chapter
National Federation of the Blind