[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] Urgent action needed Thursday and Friday, November 30 and December 1

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 23:03:00 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Please call Senators Van Hollen and Cardin.  Tell them to oppose the Tax
Cuts and Jobs Act.  Our reason for the opposition follows.

We must strive to maintain our financial freedom and independence.
Urge your senators to guarantee that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act does not
trigger mandatory spending cuts that will eliminate or reduce vocational
rehabilitation funding. If they can't guarantee this, they must oppose it.
You can reach your senators by calling (202) 224-3121 and asking for the
appropriate office.

For more information, read below.

The following blog was just posted to nfb.org:

Much attention has been given to Congress's planned tax reform efforts and
the varied effects those changes will have on Americans. However, one aspect
of the Senate Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1>  that no one
seems to be talking about is the drastic effect it will have on people with
disabilities.

Though not explicitly mentioned in the legislation, the Tax Cuts and Jobs
Act may inadvertently eliminate federal funding for public vocational
rehabilitation (VR) programs. As this letter from the National Council on
State Agencies for the Blind
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/ltr_impact_tax_cuts.pdf>  explains, VR programs
provide critical training for people with disabilities to secure and
maintain employment. Defunding of this program will not only curtail gainful
employment opportunities for people with disabilities, but also negatively
impact other programs such as the Social Security trust fund and Medicare.

We must strive to maintain our financial freedom and independence. Please
call your two senators and urge them to guarantee that the Tax Cuts and Jobs
Act does not trigger mandatory spending cuts that will eliminate or reduce
vocational rehabilitation funding. You can reach your senators by calling
(202) 224-3121 and asking for the appropriate office.

https://nfb.org/blog/article/3408

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.