[NFBMDTLC-Chapter] Looking for Blind participants for Towson University Class--Dr. Laser's former class

mary Jo Hartle mjhartle23 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 22:49:21 UTC 2019

Hello all,

As many of you know, I am teaching Dr. Jonathan Laser's CIS class at Towson
University this semester. (Dr. Lazar has moved to the University of MD).  I
am looking for several volunteers who would be willing to help our class
with their final project.  Since this class focuses on universal design and
accessible technology for blind users, I really, really, really need some
interaction between the students and other blind people.  I'm also limited
to a small pool of potential applicants since I need people who live in the
area, so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  This has been
a great group of students, mostly graduating seniors,  and several have
expressed interest in working in the field of accessibility, so I'd really
like to capitalize on their interests and help us get some more qualified
tech folks who know about accessibility for the blind.

I have two projects for which I need people.  If you would be willing to
help, please email me and I will give you more details.  You are also
welcome to volunteer for both pieces if that works for your schedule.

IN Person Visit on April 25

1.       I am looking for 5-10 individuals who would be able to come to
Towson University on Thursday, April 25 from 2-4 p.m. You would be reviewing
some websites to demonstrate to the students how the sites work with JAWS.
You only have to be a screen reader user, not proficient in web design or
accessibility.  The students would be observing you as you access the site,
and as you give them feedback on how you access the site.  This will most
likely need to be done in teams, so you would probably be working with 2-4
students depending on how many volunteers we get.

Interview Participants (via phone, etc.)

2.      I am looking for about 18 individuals (one per student) who would be
willing to have a student interview them via phone or in person.  .  The
students have a list of questions to use (i.e., where do you work, what are
your hobbies, etc.) and the goal is that they meet and learn about a blind
individual with the intent that they will see blind people as being just
like anyone else.  For this, I would partner you with a student and the two
of you would communicate to arrange a time for the interview to take place.
Then, the students will be writing up a post about their interview and
presenting it to our class as one piece of a formal final project
presentation.

I know that this is asking a lot, but if you would be willing to help, I'd
really appreciate it.  I'd like to start making the interview match ups in
the next week, so please let me know as soon as you can if you are
interested.

Thanks,

Mary Jo Hartle

Mary Jo t. Hartle, NOMC, MEd