[nfbmi-talk] National Federation of the Blind Youth Slam Ends with March and Ceremony in Washington

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Sat Aug 1 20:53:30 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262- 1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Youth Slam
Ends with March and Ceremony in Washington

NASA to Present Braille Coins That Flew in Space

Washington, D.C. (July 31, 2009): Two hundred
blind high school students and their mentors from
across the nation will close out the second
National Federation of the Blind Youth Slam in
the nation’s capitol this afternoon. The students
will begin their visit to Washington at 2 p.m.
with a rally at the Lincoln Memorial followed by
a march down the mall to the brand new Capitol
Visitors Center, where the closing ceremonies of
the Youth Slam will take place at 6 p.m. The
closing festivities will include a presentation
by the students about their week of scientific
study, as well as a special presentation by
senior officials of the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration. NASA will present the NFB
with two Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver
Dollars that flew aboard space shuttle Atlantis
on its mission to the Hubble Space Telescope in
May 2009. Astronaut Gregory H. Johnson will be
among the dignitaries in attendance.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "The National
Federation of the Blind is thrilled that our
second Youth Slam will conclude with a ceremony
in our nation’s capitol and will feature a
presentation by leaders in the field of space
exploration. This is doubtless an experience that
the Youth Slam students­and everyone involved
with the Youth Slam­will never forget. This
closing event will symbolize the belief of the
National Federation of the Blind, and all of our
partners in the Youth Slam, that blind people,
like everyone else, have a spirit of adventure, a
willingness to explore new ideas and new worlds,
and a boundless capacity to imagine a future full of possibility."

"I’m so proud of all the Youth Slam partners here
today and the work you do every day, in every
way. I’m also so proud of the students who’ve
traveled from all over the country for a week of
intense STEM training. You have so much to offer
and deserve the opportunity to earn your stars in
STEM fields. I am committed to making sure you
have that opportunity," said Senator Mikulski,
Chairwoman of the Senate Appropriations
Subcommittee that funds NASA. "I was proud to put
$600,000 in the federal checkbook to support
NFB's Youth Slam and to develop teaching and
training techniques for the blind and visually
impaired. I will continue to fight for federal
investments in key programs like this one.

# # #

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States. The NFB improves
blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence. It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.