[nfbmi-talk] small victory for Nick and I!

Reggie & Brooks regandlon at WideOpenWest.com
Tue Dec 1 17:24:03 UTC 2009

Great job Nick and Terri! I have never tried this myself, and you are a lot
younger than I. (smiles) Larry says he starts at the top of the tree,
though, so that he can lean into the tree and not move the lights he has
already put on.  Guess however it works! (smiles)
Reggie

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org]
On Behalf Of trising
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 9:14 AM
To: NFB of Michigan List
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] small victory for Nick and I!

Hi, this is Terri Wilcox. Maybe this is silly to report this, but I feel
good about it, so I want to tell other blind people in the NFB about it.
Nick and I put up our artificial Christmas tree alone for the first time
yesterday. We had always felt like we needed to wait for a sighted person to

help us do it. I had read in a Kernel book about a group of blind people who

did it independently, so I thought why not us. We accidentally put the
middle section in the bottom, but then could not get the other sections to
fit. When we really concentrated on which section had a piece that fit into
another section, instead of trying to judge by size, we got the tree
together. I had always done my own ornaments, but I had waited for help with

putting the tree together. Now, we are just waiting for help with the
lights. We will do two out of three parts independently. I still have no
clue how two totally blind people can do the lights, but maybe some year we
will hear how some blind people do that as well.
Terri and Nick