[nfbmi-talk] Commission for the Blind Public Comments

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Sat Dec 12 22:50:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

Yesterday, at the end of the meeting an issue was raised about the use of
air rifles at the MCBTC as a confidence building activity.  Apparently,
there was some kind of alleged DMB regulation that covered this and
prohibited the use of "guns" if you can call an air rifle a gun.  Apparently
this action was taken with no consumer involvement.  Since it was held to
the end of the meeting, there was no opportunity for public comments.
Again, there is a demonstration of the denial of consumers to have input on
matters of consequence.  By limiting the number of Commission meetings and
the number of opportunities for public comment, the Commission is
consciously limiting consumer input.

We ought to have an open conversation about a program to increase the self
confidence of blind people.  In Michigan many people use guns for
recreational activities.  I own several guns and it was a way that my father
and I related by him teaching me and spending time together.  I, in turn,
have done the same with my kids.  I take them to Rose Lake to shoot on the
State operated shooting range, there.

For a newly blinded person, they often feel like the things they cherish in
life, like driving and hunting have been lost forever.  They sometimes feel
less of a citizen.  Jim Stearns, a former Commissioner was a proud deer
hunter.

Guns are in our Constitution.  For some people they are part of a lifestyle
that is integral to family and community life.  The Commission was creating
an opportunity to restore confidence and self worth to people by
demonstrating that they, indeed, can live as a first class citizen.

That is why the shooting sports activity existed, at least that is why it
should exist.  The agency has lost direction.  It is given in to sighted
outsiders to take away hard-won rights in catering.  Talk of Peckham doing
foodservice, and now DMB deciding how blind people ought to be provided
rehabilitation services.  When will the MCB stand up for blind people?  Stop
muting us by limiting public comment.  Stop removing blind people from the
Commission Board for supporting consumers.  Stop hiding behind uninformed
sighted people, like the Kangaroo Court Ethics Board which was orchestrated
by the MCB Director,  to provide excuses for limiting opportunities for
blind people.

Let's have an open transparent conversation about the shooting sports idea.
Why prevent consumers from participating?

Sincerely,

Fred