[nfbmi-talk] Congressman Dingell to Participate in the National Federation of the Blind Motor City March for Independence

Mary Ann Rojek brightsmile1953 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 23:19:02 UTC 2009

    PRESS RELEASE
via PR Newswire
Congressman Dingell to Participate in the National Federation of the Blind Motor
City March for
Independence
Michigan Representative to Serve as Honorary Co-chair of Event
DETROIT, May 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Federation of the Blind announced
today that
Congressman John D. Dingell, who represents Michigan's 15th Congressional District,
will serve as a
co-chair for the organization's third annual fundraising walk-a-thon event. The Motor
City March for
Independence will take place on the morning of July 6, 2009, as part of the National
Federation of
the Blind convention, which will be held in Detroit this year. Over one thousand
blind people from
across the nation will march to raise money to benefit blind people all over the
United States and
to raise awareness about the capabilities of the blind. Congressman Dingell will
also address the
first general session of the National Federation of the Blind convention later the
same day.
Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: "We are
pleased to have
Congressman Dingell as a participant in the Motor City March for Independence. As
the
longest-serving member in the history of the United States House of Representatives,
Congressman
Dingell has clearly demonstrated an outstanding commitment to public service and
will be an
invaluable addition to the Motor City March for Independence and the convention of
the National
Federation of the Blind."
Congressman Dingell said: "I have been pleased to support many of the National Federation
of the
Blind's legislative initiatives and I am delighted to support blind Americans by
participating in
the March for Independence."
Congressman Dingell has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1955 and
is Chairman
Emeritus of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. He joins former Motown singer
and current
Detroit Councilwoman Martha Reeves and other local Detroit luminaries who have agreed
to co-chair
the Motor City March for Independence.
For more information about the March for Independence, including how to participate
and how to
sponsor a marcher, visit
www.marchforindependence.org
 .
To learn more about the National Federation of the Blind, please visit
www.nfb.org
 .
SOURCE National Federation of the Blind
http://www.nfb.org