[nfbmi-talk] Commission Chair Re-appointed

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Tue Nov 10 16:17:10 UTC 2009

Dear Listers,

I made a mistake.  I inadvertently forwarded a message about the Commission
reappointment meant for me, personally which may cause a problem for the
person who sent it to me.  I forwarded it without reading it thinking it was
simply a general announcement.  It was careless of me.  The comments are not
the position of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan.

Second, while we have protested and continue to protest the appointment
process which is, in our view, controlled by the Commission director to the
detriment of consumers for whom the Commission Board is to represent, it is
not about Jo Ann Pilarski.  We support John Scott for the appointment.  John
is a member of our board, an attorney.  John will bring Federation
philosophy directly to the Commission Board deliberations.

We feel the appointment process is tainted and presents a conflict of
interest by giving the Commission Director too much influence and then with
the Board which is meant to be his supervisor.  The appointment process is
opaque to the public.  We have presented a resolution to the Governor's
office asking for greater transparency.  I addressed the appointment process
with Mark Eagle, who was unjustly and wrongly removed from the Commission
Board by Director Cannon,  during the Convention program on Saturday.  He
suggests that all candidates for boards or commissions be posted on the
internet for everyone to see.  At least we could see who is under
consideration and make appropriate comments.

I encourage everyone to be careful about email.  Obviously I made a mistake
which I feel bad about.  I apologize for my inattention and carelessness.

Warmest Regards,

Fred