[nfbmi-talk] Youth Outreach Update

melinda latham youthslammi at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 15:03:37 UTC 2009

Greetings,

This year has gone by so fast, i can't hardly believe it.  Well, with only 41 days left of this year, it is time that we begining planning for 2010.  I am looking forward to a great year full of fun activities and learning experiences.  I need your help to make next year a great one for our youth.
First, i need to find people who are interested in helping me plan the activities for next year.  I  have kinda gotten away from the committee idea and want to go back to using that format to get more things done.  So, if you are interested in helping please contact me.  I especially need people who like to solicate donations and funds.
Secondly, i am looking for ideas of activities to do around the state.  One thing that the students said at the meeting during State Convention is that we need to think about doing things in places other than Lansing.  Therefore, if you have any ideas of cool things to do in your neck of the woods please let me know.
In that same vain, we are working on a lock-in tour.  Its going to be a leadership academy.  We will discuss topics such as Image and dressing, interviewing skills, college choices, and of course have fun.  We want to do this in cooperation with youth groups and sighted youth.  We feel that everyone can learn about this type of material and it gives us an opportunity to get some blindness training in.
II am asking each chapter to sponsor one in their area.  I am thinking around $100 or maybe sponsoring the evening meal.  I haven't exactly worked out the sponsorship.  I am just throwing the idea out to get a feel of what people are thinking.
If you have any ideas on what we should cover or want to help in any way please let me know.

Melinda.

MELINDA LATHAM
Youth Outreach Coordinator, NFB of MI
517.803.3800