[nfbmi-talk] Affiliate President Buried Alive by Youth

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 20 14:58:03 UTC 2009

Affiliate President Buried Alive by Youth

            The NFB of Michigan's No Limits Youth Outreach 2009 Mackinac
Bridge Walk was an excellent experience. The trip began at 5 A.M. on Friday
morning, with a long ride up to Munising. Our group consisted of nine 12-18
year old blind youth, ten blind adult mentors, and five drivers. My husband
and I are mentors who are totally blind from birth who experienced the trip
for the first time.

After the long ride in the car, kids and adults alike were ready for some
action! We found it on Saturday morning, in the form of a scavenger hunt
which was designed to promote Braille, and independent mobility. Clues
involved telling a passerby about Louis Braille and giving out a chocolate
coin, or navigating a nature trail out to an outcropping of rock in the
shape of a castle. I do not consider myself a confident traveler, but I was
the first to find the steps leading from an outlook down to another part of
the trail.

One clue, worth 1000 points, required the burial an NFB board member in the
sand at the beach. Kids and adults alike pitched in and buried Fred Wurtzel.
Since I do not like the feel of things on my hands, I volunteered to hold
cell phones and keep them safe from the sand. However, Fred realized he was
not sufficiently buried in some spots and told us we got no points if we did
not do better. I handed the phones off to my husband Nick and started
helping pile sand on top of him. Discovering that I could still feel his arm
and hand through the sand, I knew that spot needed more work. After a
complete immersion, our driver had mercy and rescued him.

            While at the beach, many of us rolled up our pant legs and waded
into Lake Superior. Several of the kids threw caution to the wind and jumped
into the lake.

            Lunch had to be postponed because of a spectacular surprise.
Larry Posont arranged for us to get on a 2.5 hour Pictured Rocks cruise.
This unexpected treat made it necessary to leave our pasties in the car and
hurry onto the boat. We were able to get a Coke and Doritos to hold off our
hunger until after the cruise. It was worth the wait in order to enjoy the
feel of the wind on our faces and the sound of the waves. My husband Nick
and I preferred standing by the rail in the sun and wind rather than sitting
below decks in our seats.

            After the cruise, we ate our pasties on the beach. A pastie is a
regional recipe consisting of a hand held flaky crust, containing meat and
vegetables, originally prepared for copper and iron miners in the U.P.
Pasties originated in Cornwall England, and were designed to stay warm for
long periods even in the cold mines. Several of us had waited long enough,
and the water beckoned us like a long lost friend! In spite of the fact that
we were not in bathing suits, and the water was cold, we went for a swim. I
hate the cold, but love the water. I decided I needed some help. I asked
several others who have the courage to run, and we joined hands and ran from
the beach into the water. Upon reaching the water and sand, I was knocked
off balance and fell into the water. That took care of my reluctance to get
in with the less than balmy water temperature.

            Saturday evening culminated with a bonfire that included a hot
dog roast. I learned how to put a hot dog on a skewer, and balance the
skewer against the lip of the fire pit so that the meat was over the fire,
but not in the ash. It takes approximately 2.5 minutes per side to get a
fully cooked hot dog.

            Sunday was to have commenced with one of the highlights of the
trip. We were to go to Laughing White Fish Falls in order to climb them!
However, when our group leader discovered that climbing the falls was
illegal, and since the trip was particularly designed for youth, we did not
go. Instead, we went to Seney Wild Life Refuge. Many went inside to touch
models of animals. The warm sun irresistibly called me onto the 1.5 mile
nature trail. At first, I allowed our leader, who has partial vision to lead
us. I assumed incorrectly that I might not know where to go since I am
totally blind and have severe spatial concept difficulties. However, Fred
Wurtzel easily and gently demonstrated that my assumption was incorrect. He
instructed me to take a few steps right and asked what I found. "Vegetation,
"I reported. I also found the same thing when asked to take a few steps
left. To my delight I discovered that I was just as good at leading on a
nature trail as anyone else. You know quickly when you are venturing off the
trail because of the plant life under foot. Of course, one can willfully
venture off the trail. Since we could not climb the falls, I still had my
heart set on climbing around on some rocks. I thought I felt a rock just off
the trail with my cane and called everyone's attention to the spot. We let
Fred Wurtzel be brave and investigate. It turned out that I had not found
some rocks for adventurous climbing, but a bog! Fred showed us what a bog
was with his cane. The vegetation grows back over some water on part of a
lake or marsh. When you try and put your cane in to determine if your next
step will be wet or dry, your cane gets wet and muddy. Better your cane than
your only pair of Tennis shoes!

            As we reached the last third of our hike, we kept getting random
whiffs of smoke. As we rounded a corner, we heard some minor crackling and
really smelled smoke. To our surprise, we discovered an unattended small
forest fire! When Fred Wurtzel used a cell phone to report the fire, the
wild life refuge staff greeted our news with extreme casualness! It turns
out that they had set the fire as a controlled burn. We hastened away from
the smoke and the unattended fire.

            The final adventurous highlight of the trip, swimming on Lake
Superior, occurred Sunday afternoon. We were to have swum out to some cliffs
in order to climb them, and leap off into the lake! Since we did not have
sufficient time to make the long swim, we settled on a closer adventure. A
few of us swam to a nearby rock and helped each other to get on top of it.
This was not particularly easy, since the rock was slanted and slimy.
Working together, everyone was able to get atop the rock, only to
intentionally slide back off into the water. The evening culminated with a
delicious dinner of locally caught fish.

            Before returning to the Lower Peninsula on Labor Day, we
participated in the five mile 2009 Mackinac Bridge Walk along with
approximately forty thousand other individuals.  This was the third bridge
walk in which the blind youth outreach has participated, not only to have
fun outdoors, but to   educate the public about the capabilities of blind
people. Nick and I are fairly fast walkers, and we wanted to be able to
spread our wings and walk the bridge at a good pace. Once again, I started
walking the bridge thinking that I needed to be accompanied by someone with
vision. When our leader realized that she needed to stay with two youth, she
told us to feel free and go ahead and walk the bridge.  I anxiously asked
how we would find her at the end. She said stop at the end of the bridge.
Using our canes, we walked the bridge, independently, and confidently. We
were so quick; we caught up with three fast walking, partially sighted youth
and completed the bridge walk together! Next year, Nick and I have agreed to
chaperone some youth who want to be speedsters on the bridge.

            The Bridge walk no limits youth outreach confirmed that it does
not take eye sight to have some real adventure. The National Federation of
the Blind is changing my beliefs about our capabilities as blind people, and
also, about my capabilities as a blind individual. I can lead on nature
trails without seeing, and I can walk suspension bridges without sighted
guides. I can swim out to rocks. Together, I can be part of a group of blind
people that assists each other up onto slimy rocks in Lake Superior! My
husband and I can enjoy a week end with a group of like minded adventurous
blind people! Who says you have to be with sighted people in order to have
adventure?

            According to Fred Wurtzel, "A month later, every time I take my
shoes off and hear sand fall from my socks from being buried, I smile. I get
so much energy and inspiration from the kids. Being outdoors in Michigan is
as good as life gets and sharing it with our NFB brothers and sisters makes
a great thing even better. My compliments to Melinda Latham, our youth
coordinator, along with Larry Posont, for organizing a great event."