[nfbmi-talk] should be even worse ada grades

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 18:42:21 UTC 2010

August 6, 2010

This was a very interesting article about the twentieth anniversary of the ADA. Check out the grades here. Now, there should be some accountability from the State ADA coordinator, Patrick Cannon for this horrid performance especially given the fact that once again the ADA is now twenty years old. Moreover, check out the D plus on employment opportunities. Here again Cannon has surely fallen down on the job along with those parties at Michigan Rehabilitation Services and their parent DELEG. These after all are federally funded rvocational rehabilitation programs. But, then again when folks like Cannon fire qualified people who are blind for spurrious reasons and then replace them with less qualified sighted, non-disabled folks then perhaps we can understand why this is so.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=12870445

Celebration At State Capitol For Disability Act - WLNS TV 6 Lansing Jackson Michigan

Local groups celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Americans with disabilities act. It was 20 years ago that President Bush signed the Americans with disabilities

act. It's intent- to eliminate barriers for people with physical and mental impairments. Hundreds are recognizing act's progress and challenges.

Ellen Weaver, Capital Area CIL: "I had a brain tumor."

Ellen Weaver works to better the lives of men and women with disabilities, like herself. It's no surprise she applauds the American with disabilities act

and progress that has come with it.

Ellen Weaver: "You'll see more and more buildings that are accessible. You'll see more restaurant menus in braille, in large print. You see a lot more interpreters

in meetings, and at the hospitals."

But the state still has work to do according to one study. The Great Lakes ADA Center graded the state's compliance with the American with disabilities

act. The center gave Michigan a "C" for accessible transportation, a "C-" for educating people with disabilities. The state received a "C+" for access

to government and community services. A "C-" for job accommodations and a "D+" for employment opportunities. Weaver says she believes the biggest barrier

for people with disabilities today is other people's attitudes and hopes a positive change can be made through education.

Ellen Weaver: "We are people first. We are very loyal and we're responsible citizens."

Responsible citizens continuing to fight for a level playing field.