[nfbmi-talk] Imagination Fund Grant

melinda latham youthslammi at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 13:11:16 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I'd just like to offer my comments on the subject.  I think that the youth Outreach should apply for an imagination grant.  This is one of our, of has been, major source of funding for the year.  I do try to find other sources throughout the year.  It is impossible to run the quality of program we want as an affilate on just the money we get from the affilate auction which wh are not promised every year.   I do agree that the money should be used to build up our own programs and not those of another organization.    Just for infomation sake,  we are already working on bringing youth to state convention, taking youth to Washington Seminar, and Naitonal convention next year.  These are all expensive projects.  We cann't expect other organizations to support our program if we are unwilling to support it ourselves.
I have mixed feelings about the scholarship idea.  I do agree that it is a good recruit ment tool.  However, we have to use the informationn  we recieve and keep people interested.  TO my knowledge, we had 15 people apply for a national sholarship from Michigan 11 of those were nonmembers.  Again, to the best of my knowledge we haven't followed through with these people.  SO , i am okay with the scholarship being used as a tool if there is some committment to follow up and get these people involved.
I would also be in favor of doing a joint project between the students and youth because in theory we should be working together to keep our young people interested.

Thanks so much,
Melinda

MELINDA LATHAM
Youth Outreach Coordinator, NFB of MI