[nfbmi-talk] Imagination Fund Grant

Christine Boone Christine_Boone at comcast.net
Wed Aug 18 18:47:47 UTC 2010

Elizabeth and all:
Thanks to you Elizabeth, for posting this question for everyone to see, so
that all may have the chance to weigh in.

I think that your idea about requesting a grant to provide scholarship money
is an excellent one.  This is a way to  support students who are working
hard to ensure that they have a future that is more than collecting SSI.
The connection with students will also give us the opportunity to assist
them in navigating the rehabilitation process, which can some times be a
challenge, especially when one is trying to focus on studies and all of the
other activity that is so important in college life.

While I agree that the timing seems best right now to request scholarship
funds through an Imagination grant, I do want to say a word about Camp T:
This has been an incredible summer at that enchanted place among the lakes.
Through the generous heart of one of our most dedicated federation members,
the Federation was able to fund 3 camps this season.  These were Braille
Camp, Science Camp and Culinary Camp.  All 3 experiences provided fantastic
opportunities for learning and expanding confidence to the young people who
participated in them.  These kids will only benefit from such experiences if
we can provide them.  During this year, our 3 weeks would have been empty,
were it not for the generosity of our colleague.  I know that Camp T does
not really give back to us financially, but I believe it gives to us in
other ways.  Our members have been able to connect with young people,
serving as mentors and examples for them, and developing long lasting
friendships at the same time. Some of our number have been able to find
remunerative employment at the Camp, allowing them to save up some money for
the long school year ahead.  This summer's camp staff was fantastic.  They
were supportive, open, cooperative and wonderful to work with.  This Camp is
struggling right now and while I am not sure that we are the solution to its
troubles, I do believe that it is worth our while to support Camp Tuhsmeheta
by advocating for the continuation of its programs and substantial increase
to its funding through the Department of Education.

Thanks for listening.     And for the record:
My vote is to write an Imagination Grant for student scholarships.

Christine