[nfbmi-talk] Imagination Fund Grant

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 04:20:46 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Thank you all for the comments you have posted so far. It looks as though there is a good discussion about the Imagination Fund grant. Based on the application materials, it is not clear on how many grants we can apply for in the application process.

While I believe the camps at Camp T this year sound like a great success, I am not quite sure how funding these camps help us grow as an affiliate especially when we cannot receive the names and contact information for the youth who attend these camps.

As to date, the youth program has already reaped the benefits of receiving an Imagination Fund grant for a cane travel seminar at state convention, and now it is going to be receiving the funds from our state auction for the second time. While on the other hand, the student division has received little, if any financial support from the state affiliate. In fact, if I recall correctly, the students who attended Washington Seminar this year had to pay for their own room in order to attend the student seminar.

If the student division cannot receive any support from the state affiliate, then how exactly is it suppose to exist? I would love to be able to follow up with those who applied for a national scholarship this year, but I do not have the ability to do this because I cannot receive the contact information for these students. s going to show up to the seminar?

I think we have done an excellent job at building our youth program, but I am concerned that we will lose the youth we bring into our state affiliate as they out grow the youth program. What I would like to see happen in our affiliate is for us to provide a place for young adults to find their niche as they transition from the youth program into adulthood. I understand that simply providing a scholarship program for college students may not automatically guarantee a thriving student division filled with young capable leaders, but at least it is a place to start.

Respectfully,
Elizabeth