[nfbmi-talk] mrs nor mcb nor one stops compliant

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 21:34:10 UTC 2010

April 28, 2010

Note on Access Requirements Vocational Rehab

This section of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act goes directly to accessibility of all Vocational Rehabilitation facilities including the Michigan Commission for the Blind, it also goes to all the various One-Stops…

Yet, to this very date so many of Michigan’s V.R. and related agencies have issues of accessibility. One item comes strongly to my mind here and that is the fact that raised character and Braille signage is woefully non-compliant at the Victor office building and that includes both MCB, Michigan Rehabilitation Services, the Michigan Commission for Disabilities concerns, and a wide variety of DELEG offices just to name a few. The raised character and Braille signage requirement is a “program access” requirement of the ADA and Section 504 referenced in these Vocational Rehabilitation Act Title I rules. My gosh how many parts of these acts have MRS, MCB, DELEG and predecessors violated over these many years on this access issue and requirement alone?

I simply can’t take a count of the egregious and intentional acts of discrimination in this regard over the years.

It staggers the mind, but I have been vilified over and over again for pointing out the obvious violations of these civil rights requirements.

Relevant section:

Sec. 361.51 Standards for facilities and providers of services.

    (a) Accessibility of facilities. The State plan must assure that

any facility used in connection with the delivery of vocational

rehabilitation services under this part meets program accessibility

requirements consistent with the requirements, as applicable, of the

Architectural Barriers Act of 1968, the Americans with Disabilities Act

of 1990, section 504 of the Act, and the regulations implementing these

laws.

Joe Harcz