[nfbmi-talk] official board correspondence re foia and oma

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 23:51:38 UTC 2010

Official Board Correspondence on Open Meetings Act And FOIA Relationship

August 23, 2010

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

E-mail: joe harcz at comcast.net

To: Michigan Commission for the Blind Members:

Jo Anne Pilarski, Chair

(via e-mail)

Michael Geno, c/o Susan Luzinski (MCB)

Geraldine Taeckens

Via e-mail

Margaret Wolfe

Via e-mail

John Scott

Via e-mail

Official correspondence to MCB Board via e-mail

Ladies and gentlemen,

If you will note Ms. Barbara Schmidt specifically advised you to hold a closed session of the May 3, 2010 MCB board citing this very section referenced after my signature line. Clearly she did not consult this referenced Freedom of Information Act attorney general’s opinion.

I am sorry that you were so ill advised by this Assistant Attorney General. But I did send you all these opinions as free technical assistance and in good faith. And you are all required to follow the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act in all of your official activities as weal, as of course other relevant laws. Note: these obligations are clearly in the PA 260 and even in your own by-laws.

I offer this plain language and opinion again to alert you to your obligations under the law with a simple bottom line. That is to simply follow these laws.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.