[nfbmi-talk] james hul profile interesting

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 6 17:06:45 UTC 2010

Staff Profile: James Hull
By Christine Movalson, MCB Insight Editor, Lansing

Photo: James Hull

Say “hello” to James Hull, acting Business Enterprise Program (B E P) Manager.  James has been with MCB for six years. He found out about employment opportunities with the commission when his Vocational Rehabilitation counselor told him about a job posting. Until his recent promotion, James was a B E P promotional agent.  He shares, “I miss spending as much time in the field as I used to, but I find many parts of being manager very rewarding.”  When asked what his favorite part of his job is, he explained, “I love giving operators good news, like when they get to start and where their location will be.  Giving people the opportunity to improve the quality of their lives makes up for the less fun stuff.”

In contrast, the most difficult part of being B E P manager, James says, “Is doing what’s right when it is not popular, like having to take corrective action.”

A typical day for James includes working with promotional agents to help B E P operators.  James comments, “If we fix the five fires and half of what we expected to we’re satisfied.  We have a motto in B E P to expect the unexpected.”

James got his degree from Michigan State University in English Literature with a minor in Spanish.  He originally wanted to teach English as a Second Language, but changed direction after losing his sight the day after graduation.

It’s no surprise after learning that James was an English Lit. major, that one of his favorite spare time activities is reading.  He is currently reading a Lee Child novel.  Hunting, traveling, golfing, and wood-working round out his list of hobbies.  The project he is most proud of to date is a cedar-lined oak hope chest.

What he likes to do most is spend time with his family.  He is the youngest of four, including a twin brother.  They all live within five miles of each other and enjoy getting together for wining and dining.  In fact, he and his brother-in-law like to do the cooking!

James is known within his family to be a good listener and very honest.  If you ask him, he’ll tell you.  James describes, “I am horrible at keeping things to myself, my own secrets, not other people’s.”

If you have a question about the Business Enterprise Program or want to discuss hunting, golfing, or woodworking, he would be more than willing to give you an honest answer.  You can reach James at hullj at michigan.gov or 517-373-2064.

MCB Insight is a bimonthly e-mail newsletter published by the Michigan Commission for the Blind (MCB) and distributed to MCB staff during the first week of odd-numbered months.  If you have articles or ideas for MCB Insight, please send them to Christine Movalson at movalsonc at michigan.gov anytime.  Your suggestions and comments are welcome.  This publication is available in alternative formats upon request to persons with disabilities.