[nfbmi-talk] Agenda, December 16, 2010 Board Resolution Suggestion for discussion

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Thu Dec 16 19:18:47 UTC 2010

                Hello, attached and included below is a draft of a board
resolution suggestion.  The resolution is pretty self-explanatory, but a
digest version is to have the Commission's Committees and Design teams to
meet on weekends to improve consumer access and free up work time for tasks
like case management, finding jobs and returning phone calls.What do you all
think?

Warmest Regards,

Fred

Board Resolution

WHEREAS:     mcb has many committees or design teams which meet periodically
to advise the administration on various policy issues; and,

WHEREAS      These committees include a significant number of staff from all
levels within the agency; and,

WHEREAS:     It is desirable to have input from all areas of staff in policy
matters; and,

WHEREAS:     Various indicators as reviewed in the RSA monitoring report,
including competitive closures, incomplete or out-of-date data in System and
a number of other serious items, such as returning client phone calls,  that
need staff attention; and,

WHEREAS:     It is clear that more time needs to be devoted to core MCB work
activities; and,

WHEREAS:     Design team and similar advisory activities could be moved out
of the standard work day and efficiently conducted on weekends; and,

WHEREAS:     Such a change would level the playing field for consumers by
allowing working consumers to more easily participate; and,

WHEREAS:     Such a change would be a win/win by freeing up more work time
for basic core tasks and would improve accessibility for working consumers.

.         THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the board of the National Federation
of the Blind of Michigan on this blank day of blank that this organization
call upon the Board of the Michigan Commission for the Blind and the
Director to begin to hold all optional advisory internal advisory policy
related committees such as the Services Delivery Design Team, The Planning
and Quality Team, the Communications Design Team, etc On weekends in places
convenient to staff and consumers.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that this organization suggest that no comp time nor
overtime be allowed for such meeting attendance in order to truly level the
playing field for consumers and staff and fully utilize the time for
additional client and other core MCB business.