[nfbmi-talk] Voice on the Go generated email

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 12:10:24 UTC 2010

Hi Fred and LL,

I think that Tanya was discussing some sensor in addition to thelong white
cane. While I agree with Fred here to a point in that there is no real
substitute for a cane or dog guide I don't think there are any hard and fast
rules, so to speak against using other aids in addition.

I, for example given some minor hearing loss would dearly love to have some
orientation devicess such as GPS which would aid in independence and safe
travel. As soon as I can get the I-phone on verizon I will do so and I'll
get some gps apps. And all pretty much know that I do advocate and have for
mobility accommodations in the built environment from raised character and
Braille signage to APS to you name it. Still, these things will nevr
substitute, and are not meant to substitute for tried and true travel
techniques and devices.

In other words it's not a matter of either/or in my opinion, but a matter of
both in some circumstances and always based upon choice.

On another topic, but related I sure am beginning to despise the snow as I
don't have sidewalks nearby and they would be coverred at any rate. It sure
makes independent travel difficult to say the least.

This is where, if I had my druthers I'd love to be living in a city. But,
that is not in the cards right now.

Peace to all this holiday season.

Joe