[nfbmi-talk] System Seven

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Thu Dec 23 03:15:41 UTC 2010

Hello,

Larry, thank you for inviting us to make comments.

In reading your original letter and Joe's response, it seems like Joe is
pretty much agreeing with your letter.  He agrees that System 7 is broke.
He agrees that staff are afraid to make their thoughts known due to fear of
retribution.  Bernie Kramer absolutely agreed with your letter and was not
dismayed by your advocacy.  You definitely came out to support Karyn Silky,
along with all MCB field staff,  and her efforts to do her job.  In my
observation, Karyn is a fine counselor and ought to have support systems
that work.  By asking Jo Ann Pilarski to work on resolving the problem, he
agrees that the Commission Board has a role in dealing with professional
management of MCB.

Given Pat's propensity for firing people like Dave and Christine with no
reason, you can see why staff is fearful of pointing out problems.  This is
self-defeating for Pat in that it shields him from the needs of staff and
limits the information he has to make sound decisions.  Fear, bullying and
intimidation are hallmarks of his management style and logically leads to
fear from staff.  Thankfully Bernie stood up for Karyn, as  the great
supervisor he is.

So, the only thing that you and Joe apparently disagree about is whether Pat
Cannon is responsible for managing the Commission.  Apparently Joe has
bought into Pat's continual dodging of responsibility and denial that
anything is his fault.  If he is not responsible for the agency, why is he
being paid more than $120,000 to be the Director?

Pat is very persuasive and smooth.  He is a master at spin.  I don't blame
Joe for buying into Pat's line.  After all, Joe hasn't been around all that
long in the blindness field.  Joe is a really nice guy who wants to think
the best of everyone.  That is not a bad trait for a leader.  However, in
this case, it is enabling Pat to continue to duck responsibility as the
wheels are falling off the agency in almost every area.  If it were only the
RSA monitoring report, that would be enough for scrutiny, but, as you point
out, it is the Monitoring report, the BEP, the training Center  and System
7.  How much can Pat not be responsible for?

So, to me, you and Joe are in agreement and it is only the question of who
owns the mess that MCB is in where you are not in synch.

Thanks.

Warmest Regards,

Fred