[nfbmi-talk] more on ccb incident

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 28 12:09:25 UTC 2010

Driver faces charges after bus-stop crash that killed pedestrian

By Carlos Illescas The Denver Post

Carissa Ubersox knows she was extremely fortunate to be able to spend Christmas back home in Wisconsin after a young woman from Englewood hit her and two

other students from the Colorado Center for the Blind at a bus stop.

She says she owes her life to David Nanney.

Nanney, 47, died Dec. 17 after warning Ubersox, 26, and classmate Helen Georgie Sydnor, 18, that a car was coming toward them.

"(Dave) told me to get behind him," Ubersox said by phone from Shullsburg, Wis. "He saved my life."

On Monday, the driver of the vehicle, Nina Mastroianna, 21, was issued a citation to appear on three misdemeanor traffic charges: careless driving resulting

in death and two counts of careless driving resulting in injury. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Mastroianna could not be reached for comment.

Lt. Sean Dugan of the Littleton Police Department said Monday that the results of blood tests are pending. But given that the incident happened in the morning

and that there were no signs of alcohol or drug use by Mastroianna, there is no reason to believe that alcohol or drugs were a factor, authorities say.

"We just don't think that is going to go anywhere," Dugan said.

Ubersox, Nanney and Sydnor were waiting for the bus near the intersection of West Mineral Avenue and South Utica Drive at about 7:30 a.m., planning to go

to a Christmas party at the school.

According to the police report, Mastroianna made a right turn onto Mineral, and her car almost immediately spun out of control because of the icy conditions.

Mastroianna told police that her car fishtailed and drifted to the middle lane. She tried to accelerate to avoid oncoming traffic and then overcorrected

and steered the vehicle onto the curb, the police report said.

Nanney still had central vision and was able to see enough of the oncoming vehicle to warn his fellow students to get behind him.

Sydnor's pelvis was broken. Ubersox's left leg was broken and required surgery and pins to fix it. She also suffered two fractures to her face.

For Christmas, many members of Ubersox's family gathered at her grandmother's house for a celebration that had extra meaning this year.

"Christmas was very extra special," she said.

She is using a walker and has up to eight weeks of rehabilitation. But she plans to return to Colorado Center for the Blind to finish her studies.

"I need to do it for Dave," Ubersox said. "He was like a father figure to me. If I don't do it, he would be so disappointed."

Carlos Illescas: 303-954-1175 or

cillescas at denverpost.com

Driver faces charges after bus-stop crash that killed pedestrian - The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16954624