[nfbmi-talk] Means Testing for College Students

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 04:52:07 UTC 2010

Hello List,

After a closer inspection of the college policy that was proposed during the last Michigan Commission for the Blind board meeting, it appears to me that one of the biggest differences between this policy and the one that is currently in place is the use of the new DELEG financial aid form. With this in mind, it would appear as though the Michigan Commission for the Blind may be trying to implement a means test for college students without actually calling it a means test. Out of all the changes that have been made to the policy, this is the one change that was never discussed during the special three-person committee appointed by the Commission Board.

If I recall correctly, I believe that the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan passed a resolution a few years ago regarding means testing. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy of this resolution? I tried searching the affiliate website, but so far, I have not found anything on means testing. Additionally, does anyone know where I might be able to go to find additional information about the impact means testing has on vocational rehabilitation services? If the agency is truly trying to implement a means test for college students, then I would like to make sure that we are prepared to argue against it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth