[nfbmi-talk] important letter

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Jun 23 22:05:11 UTC 2010

Just an additional note here on this topic in general. There were and are
some horrendous things going on with the state budget due to the depression
here over this past decade. One of the first things cut in the early part of
the decade was state support for colleges and universities here. Of course
that led to ever escalating, almost hyper inflationary costs in tuition,
fees, etc. at those schools.

Now college education is a pretty big part of MCB's budget. I've noticed
cuts in maintainence and so on and so forth as a means of compensating. Also
if one looks at the annual reveiws on the RSA web site one will find that
generally speaking MCB has sent less students each year on to college, but
that the costs to MCB have grown related to that because of over all
increases in college costs.

I think this is a classic case of the knee bone is connected with the hip
bone if you catch my drift.

And I think it is sort of like much of what MCB does over all. They keep a
lot of individuals away from the table even at the point of entry, in some
cases actively discouraging or simply not being around to answer or return
phone calls (we all remember the Advocates for the Blind on this stuff in
Detroit and other examples). Then MCB kind of just takes and serves those
who really know their stuff and make a stink.

Of course there are still some good consumer friendly types in the field,
most of them on the West side of the State in my experience.

But, this is the way the game is and has been played over all.

Peace,

Joe