[nfbmi-talk] Cannon Caught Trying to End-run consumers

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 03:20:56 UTC 2010

Hello Listers,

In an astonishing turn of events On Tuesday the Michigan Senate rejected the
reappointments of Mike Geno and Margaret Wolfe to the Commission Board. You
may remember that last November, the NFBM passed a resolution calling on the
Governor to make the appointment process more open and transparent.  Well,
just the opposite was attempted by Pat Cannon.  Though the terms of Wolfe
and Geno are not up until October, Cannon tried to slip them through early
to avoid any commentary from consumers.  We have alleged for a long time
that cannon is manipulating the appointment process for his boss, the
Commission Board.  Now, we have proof.

The system to appoint Commissioners must change.  Candidates for the
Commission should be posted on the internet.  Their qualifications should be
posted.  All letters, in support or opposition should be posted.  It needs
to be the Governor's call as to who is selected, but consumers ought to see
the process and work to get the best person appointed.  This will not be
easy.  No politician wants to give up power, but it can happen.  The NFBM
can make it happen.  We have a tailor made case for why such reform is
needed.  We must make our agency accountable.  We must fight for the best
people we can find to work on our behalf to set policy for the agency.  It
is up to us to make this agency work on behalf of blind people, not fight us
like the staff  did on Monday during the college policy meeting..

Warmest Regards,

Fred