[nfbmi-talk] The Latest On The College Policy

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 25 23:48:20 UTC 2010

Hello List,

Here is the most recent copy of the college policy that I received this evening from Geri Taeckens. I never read the policy that we worked on during the meeting on my own outside of the meeting, so I am not quite sure how these two drafts compare to each other. When I received an email from her earlier in the day, I noticed she mentioned how much time it was taking her to revise the draft policy. After receiving this message, I sent her another copy of the policy we approved during our May board meeting as a way to help simplify the revision process. However, she declined this offer stating that she had incorporated several of our ideas into the draft she presented on Monday, and could not work from what we submitted because it was not agreed upon by the work group on Monday.

I will be speaking with Geri personally on Sunday evening as I cannot make the meeting on Tuesday, and she did not like the idea of appointing someone else to attend this meeting in my place. She stated that our draft was excellent, but for some reason she still does not want to use it. I am not quite sure what I should say to her when I talk with her on Sunday because I believe this draft is just overall a bad policy, but I am not quite sure how I can explain this to her. I seem to judge how well something is written based more on how it sounds when I read it rather than on rules, grammar, and punctuation.

I suppose I could simply tell her that I think the policy is poorly written, and should be rewritten all over again. However, I know this is not necessarily constructive feedback because it really does not provide any suggestions on how to make it better when rewriting it. Do I simply tell her that despite her greatest efforts I still think our policy is better and they should be working off of what we presented them rather than trying to reinvent the wheel? Or do I present her with comparisons of what has been presented in our policy that do not appear in the policy that she has written?

I am really nervous about doing this, and if it were up to me, I would rather not be on this writing committee.  It just seems to me like no one in that group agrees with me, and I am not quite sure how well I am at diplomacy. I am already nervous about going to convention as traveling to convention never seems to agree with me. I was hoping that all of this would be done and over with by now, but apparently that was just some wishful thinking. Your thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Elizabeth