[nfbmi-talk] from mpas cap report 2009

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Jun 27 13:20:08 UTC 2010

I'm not sure right now. One of the problems though with Protection and
Advocacy services over all including CAP is that they are underfunded
generally.

Again both were established and required by the same rehab act that creates
V.R.

And they are supposed to be the check on abuses in the system.

But, they are in my opinion both under funded and then like a lot of outfits
co opted to one degree or another by their very funding sources which do
include both state and federal dollars.

The establishment of Michigan Protection and Advocy Services as a non-profit
was supposed to mitigate some of this internal tensions.

But, as stated elsewhere policies and practices don't always coincide.

It's kind of ironic but while I was at the MCB TC as a student working on my
skills of blindness and after my return to Michigan from New Hampshire where
I piled up a substantial record and advocate I actually applied for an
advocate position with MPAS.

Oh you can bet that there wasn't any support for that from the field staff
of MCB, but there was from some of the good counselors at the staff of MCB
TC.

I remember chatting wwith Roger Yake at the time and going into abuses of
counselors and such agagainst all sorts of consumers in New Hampshire and
then again here in Michigan. He said, and was correct at the time; "I think
the difference is in Michigan only half of our counselors are not so good,
or anti-consumer." This was in 2001 and it was true.

Roger was himself one of the good guys and also one of the most adept with
access technology in MCB. And that is something we need much more of over
all.

Instead however Cannon and the state have forced the most competent out or
they have left through attrition and/or early retirement.

If he can't get them out that way then he just fires them, especially if
they don't kiss his ring at every turn or do his dirty work.

This isn't just against NFB either for as we all know long ago Cannon threw
John McMahan under the bus. He was the best the U.P. ever had. He now heads
the blind agency in Maine.

Oh, yes and Maine just widely announced through a variety of media their
public hearings on their state plan.

Hmmm....For a guy who is so worried about RSA and compliance and openess
then why in the heck haven't we had one required public hearing on our state
plan in the nine years since I've been back in Michigan?

Joe