[nfbmi-talk] Should Students Participate in College Costs?

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 03:31:58 UTC 2010

Hi Elizabeth,

I agree, completely, with what you say, here.  Though Geri Taeckens has
worked hard and has made some positive improvements, this policy is severly
lacking and is an anti blind student policy document.  It needs to be thrown
out and written from the ground upp.

If the Commission wants the college to complete another form, it needs to be
their responsibility to do so, not the student's.  It will turn into a
gotcha game and keep some eligible people from going to school.  The federal
government already asks for all the needed information, why should the
student have to do it again?

How about not giving those who change majors additional time.  In some
cases, it may add another year to the time needed to finish.  If the IPE
approves a change, then all policies for college attendance should then
apply.

Even though the MOU section has been changed, it still does not require the
Commission to step in and resolve the problem.  Despite promises at our
convention, Kerry Bradly did not ever get her math book in Braille.  The
Commission was not able to do a simple thing like get a book Brailled, how
will they resolve complex technical problems?

I hope students are in the audience on Friday to voice their concerns and
objections to this horrible policy.