[nfbmi-talk] Pros and Cons of Preferential Treatment

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 03:40:28 UTC 2010

Interesting article. It seems to speak to the cultural values that were being promoted by the dominate culture that was prevalent during the time period the speech was written. Personally, I do not agree with those who promote such a homogenous society when reality clearly seems to paint us a different picture.

I understand that this organization as a whole does not promote the use of personal loans for blind students to attend college, nor does it promote the use of a means test for determining what services a student can receive from the Commission. However, does requiring all students to contribute a small reasonable amount towards their college education regardless of their income equate to a means test? If blindness automatically qualifies someone to receive Social Security benefits, then is asking a student to contribute fifty or a hundred dollars a month towards tuition, room, and board too much? If we just simply give every student a completely free ride, then how will students learn how to manage their money responsibly when they leave the vocational rehabilitation system?

I’m not asking these questions as a way to spur on an argument over the positions our organization has made, nor am I trying to work in opposition to these positions. I simply want to see a dialog between members of our organization to determine what action steps are needed to move forward on this issue. In the past few months, our organization as a whole has taken actions against a number of issues. However, I have not seen our organization as a whole take any decisive action against this issue, and I’m sorry, but as a current college student, I would like to see this organization take some action on this issue. I will continue to do whatever I can to ensure that the Commission adopts a college policy that is in the best interest of students, but sometimes it feels as though I am the only one who really cares about this issue.

Respectfully,
Elizabeth