[nfbmi-talk] open memo

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri May 7 12:37:15 UTC 2010

Speaking only for myself I wish for no one to leave this list. Nor, do I wish for any communication to be squelched whatsoever. Nor, do I now or ever, have denigrated anyone working on the college policy issue, except perhaps those staff of MCB who wish to ram illegal policies down our collective throats.

In fact I wish for the contrary. I wish for more information, from a variety of members on a variety of issues. I wish for more voices of activism and involvement.

These are very troubled and troubling times facing Michiganders who are blind, and indeed all with disabilities.

Frankly, from my investigations and those of others MCB is not the only agency purportedly serving people with disabilities out of control in this state. It just appears to be the most out of control.

My efforts and those of others are not to destroy it. That, sadly is already being done. Rather we are trying individually and collectively to reform and rebuild this truly valuable agency with the services that could result in freedom for people who are blind as the outcome.

Now, on the issue of an unnamed person per her request I have always and I repeat always respected the earnest involvement in the college policy arena. I've state as much on this very list.

Again, I am the last person to wish for the freedoms of expression to be squelched. That goes for people with whom I disagree.

Let me tell one and all though that MCB itself as a state agency has and still does trample upon First Amendment rights. I will send a couple of notices to this list from the MCB 2020 list to illustrate that fact. As a state actor this is both inexcusable and legally actionable.

Moreover, this is not the first time. At the very last meeting Chair Pilarski tried to select the content, or rather, dictate the content by topic of the public speaking sessions. This is a violation of the "prior restraint doctrine" in many U.S. Supreme Court cases and implicit in the Open Meetings Act. Moreover, contrary to the draft meeting minutes she gaveled down a speaker for mentioning Director Cannon by name. How utterly ludicrous is that? I mean that is his name and he is after all a highly paid public official.

My sighted brother came to that meeting as he was picking me up after his work. He said, "I've seen better run and more open bowling team meetings. And we're usually pretty drunk at those."

All of this goes to the issues of control, paternalism and what NFB has defined rightfully as "custodialism". In other words this agency seems to think that rather than being partners, collaborators, and just plain people with common purpose and goals, that rather they own us.

It is true that organizationally and by law MCB would not exist without us. This is something frankly that they collectively have lost sight of. But, they don't own us.

Now, this all said there are many competent and good professionals in MCB. I have come to respect and even love many of them, especially those directly engage in rehabilitation at the Training Center, but not exclusive of them. Now, I fight, and I do use the word "fight" here not only for stakeholders and consumers, but also these goodly professionals. In fact I wish for them to not be intimidated and otherwise kept from doing their valuable jobs.

Finally, I sure in the heck do not wish for qualified personnel like Christine boone to be fired for doing their jobs and as a cover up by the powers that be for gross malfeasance.

Again, let your voices be heard. All of your voices!

Sincerely,

Joe Harcz