[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Purpose Statement and Participant Guidelines, Michigan Commission for the Blind Vision 2020 Listserv

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri May 7 16:31:55 UTC 2010

Thank you Christine and for all that you and other's due.

I did wish to elaborate on a few points here though. Again, I do not wish to
have anyone leave this list. Nor, do I for the record denegrate or devalue
the work of a certain individual vis a vis college policies. In fact the
contrary. I appaud her efforts.

As per the ignorant comment taken very much out of context I made it clear
that word means, "not to know". We are all ignorant on many fronts.
Certainly I am ignorant as to certain issues including understanding the RSA
monitoring and what all those standards and indicators mean for example. And
let me tell one and all that I am ignorant in the strictest sense of that
word on a whole lot of things.

But, to be foreclosed or denied information is to impose ignorance upon the
people. That is why we have an Open Meetings Act, Freedom of Information
Acts, and the First Amendment among other laws.

In fact it is why learning alternative communications techniques such as
Braille and the right to recieve and send important information in alternate
formats is so important to including this list or any other medium.

Not to be undully personal, but my sighted ex-wife had a saying. It was,
"Ignorance is curable, stupidity is not." now, I am NOT here calling anyone
personally stupid or even ignorant here.. And I do not write this to be
personal in any way to anyone on this list, but to point out a fundamental
truth in that statement generically and generically.

Moreover, I am on a number of list serves and cannot engage in every item or
comment on every issue. Frankly, some just don't interest me or I don't have
time to deal with the issues.

I simply delete them.

I know I post a lot and it might well be overwhelming to some. I am not
offended if any person wishes to delete things. I am also not offended if
someone wishes to counter, rebut or even criticise negatively a post.

But, to attack a given topic or to otherwise attempt to restrain or limit
even factual material in the public domain simply cannot be tolerated and
most especially when those "someone's" are federally funded agents of the
state.

And that is the case here with MCB 20-20.

We are in the United States of America blessed with the rights of open
dialogue or even monologue for that matter with our government of all types.
We are not the old Soviet Union with their restrictions on speech and press
rights, or Nazi Germany or any other totalitarian form of government from
the extreme right or the extreme left.

What is particularly insidious about these issues of attempts at prior
constraint aside from generic ones is that they are targetted at people who
are blind setting us aside for a different standard which is illegal
discrimination on its face.

Anyway I'll on these issues in general and specific always live with the old
saying, "I may disagree with a persons opiniions, but will defend to the
death the right to say it."

And even more importantly when it comes down to fact finding I love the old
quote of Senator Daniel Patrick Moynahan when he said, "People are entitled
to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

So here's a fact:

I posted to the MCB list as a part of an inquiry as to why they were holding
a closed meeting Monday and referencing legal issues the Eagle case
reference and asked if "This was the case they were referring too?"

Of course, I did wish for a timely response too. But I got none and
subsequently I and all the members of the list serve got these notices which
are and were a clear attempt to stifle lawful expression.

Those are the facts of this matter and they are never going to be ignored by
yours trully.

I have to dash to lunch. Hope I didn't offend a single person by this
response. I mean that sincerely. And I do wish that a certain someone would
not leave this list and do wish to be informed by her on those important
issues that she is working on. I mean that. I really do.

Peace with Justice,

Joe