[nfbmi-talk] Ray McGeorge

Christine Boone Christine_Boone at comcast.net
Wed May 12 21:10:47 UTC 2010

Friends,

I have been away for a few days and have just returned to find a couple of
messages regarding the sudden and serious illness of my dear friend and long
time leader of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado, Ray
McGeorge.  Ray is currently in the intensive care unit of Rose Hospital in
Denver, with meningitis.  Ray is on life support and Doug and I join Diane
in asking for your prayers for his rapid and complete recovery.  Here is the
most recent update from NFB of Colorado president Scott LaBarre.

Greetings Friends:

I just returned from Rose Hospital here in Denver where I was able to visit
with Diane McGeorge and also able to see Ray very briefly. He is still in
the ICU and on the respirator but he has been very stable today. Yesterday
afternoon after I had last written, Ray hit a rough patch where many of his
vital signs went out of wack including his temperature which exceeded 105
for a couple of hours. They instituted all kinds of treatment yesterday and
brought everything under control in the night.

Today, he has been showing definite signs of improvement in that he fusses
when they try to move him around too much and he has been gripping Diane's
hand and not wanting to let it go. He is still very heavily sedated but
they are going to reduce those medicines slowly through the day with the
hope that they will be able to revive him fully tomorrow. There is great
hope that he has passed through the worst of the infection and has rounded
the corner.

Diane expressed great grattitude for everyone's thoughts and prayers. She
wants all of us to keep them coming. From what the doctors have told Diane,
it is now the beginning of the time period when they expect the antibiotics
to start taking full effect and pushing back the infection. I am very
confident and hopeful that Ray will fight through this, but we need to keep
sending our prayers and positive thoughts Ray and Diane's way. I will
update the lists further when I know more. Please feel free to circulate
this broadly so that all of the McGeorge's friends know what is going on.
Thanks,
Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

  just returned from