[nfbmi-talk] follow the money now 8 million with mrs

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue May 18 14:15:38 UTC 2010

This is from the approved MI SILC November 13 2009 minutes just up for the May 14, 2010 public hearing on the Statewide Plan for Independent Living. It appears here that MRS is going to have $8 million in jeopardy and that does go through and effect the whole system.

Joe

DSU Reports

MRS- J. Shamsiddeen

  a.. First is early out retirement or incentivized retirement.  They had an update from the Governor, but unknown what the legislature will do.  MRS could be impacted by 121 positions (Eligible but may not chose to leave) Exec Team (3/4); Detroit Management Team would be the most impacted.  There are limited opps for exceptions for each department.  Director would put forth one for her to bridge transition. Counselors will probably not be impacted that greatly.
  b.. MRS has a lot going.  Consumers are frustrated with the time it takes to get services.  They have been taking the frustrations out on the counselors.  This is beyond the counselor’s control, and has affected MRS Morale.
  c.. MRS is working on the state plan for the VR and the SPIL.  They are trying hard to get MCETI East up and launched, it should be up by May and hopefully helps employment.  MCTI East will be at the Samaritan center in Detroit.
  d.. Jett Program is being phased down/out in the next budget sent forth by the Governor.  Customers (1300 to 1400) will go to Title 1 services. Contract employees will be allowed to expire.  As the case loads decrease they will allow other contracts to expire too.  By Oct 1st we can’t hire anyone unless they opt to interview for permanent civil service positions.
  e.. Currently we are challenged to secure the increase to Federal Core dollars but we are short on Match money to draw it down. MRS is 2 million dollars short; they will have to turn back 8 million in Federal Funds.  We are trying to access donations and other ideas to avoid this.  Jaye expects they may have to turn the money back. (Aug. is our deadline the Feds will offer it to other states that may have the match).
  f.. Listening sessions from ODEP are currently going on.   Rehab Council is representing Michigan at the conference in Chicago.  New commissioner called and wanted Jaye to attend or submit a testimony.  She has submitted a testimony.
  g.. At the federal level there are issues growing that VR may be shifted into Labor.  Those issues are starting to be downplayed.  To Education’s knowledge there are no immediate plans because Congress is busy on job creation.  Right now they don’t consider VR part of job creation.
  h.. Working with partners (SILC, DN/M, MI Rehab Council) to develop a strategy for how to develop long term plans and partnership and working with IL partners to improve rehab.  An overarching vision which can be turned over to an operation team in the state.  There have been 3 sessions, there are 2 more scheduled and Jaye is encouraged by the progress.
  i.. Internal workgroup is looking at Order of Selection.  Not much news has come out lately.  Jaye is on record as opposing a statewide waiting list.  The governor does not want a statewide waiting list if it can be avoided.  It appears however that there may be no choice other than to consider establishing it next year due to anticipated cuts in the budget, and if they are not able to replace staff to meet consumer demand.  Jaye is asking the workgroup to put something in the VR state plan that requests approval of rules to establish order of selection.
Questions:

·         1. Is MRS is still involved with MSU for Project excellence?  Answer: Yes

·         2. Is there any way to reduce the VR workload?  Answer: Performance standards are federally mandated.  Some workload is for support of state initials and reporting that to departments.  There have been no discussions at this time.  MRS cannot cut back on how can apply for or receive services.  Order of selection would affect the entire state not just MRS.

·         3. Replacement ratio?  Answer: DHS can replace on a 1 to 1.  MRS has been told 2 to 3 on non-essential positions.

·         4. What does MRS see as a vision for the next 3 years to where VR is going in Michigan?  Answer: MRS will have to serve more in need with fewer resources.

·         5. We are asking ourselves what is our niche?  What do we do best?  What are we specifically trained for?  Answer: We can’t serve everyone in need.  Priorities are people with the most disabilities and youth in transition.  Our partners need to be able to work with others with disabilities.  Funding remains a problem.  Resources will get tighter before it gets better.  We are still trying for more match dollars.  An Ideal system is truly one where any individual can go and be served successfully.  We are a long way from that in Michigan.

·         6. Is there anything the SILC Council or CIL network you would like us to give political that MRS can’t do?  Answer: Jaye would like to think on this matter and thanks for the offer.  We know their long term plan and their relationship IL plan.  If we can support that plan that will be a big step forward.  Politically there is always more to do.