[nfbmi-talk] Quarterly Board Meeting Minutes for the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 25 03:39:06 UTC 2010

Quarterly Board Meeting  Minutes for the National Federation of the Blind of
Michigan

February, 20, 2010, 10 a.m.

Library of Michigan

702 W. Kalamazoo Street

Lansing, MI 48933

Call to Order by Larry Posont.

Quorum. Yes

Board Members include, President, Larry Posont, First Vice President,
Michael Powell, Second Vice President, John Scott, Secretary, Terri Wilcox,
Treasurer, Peter Zaremba, Dave Robinson, Melinda Latham, Marcus Simmons, and
Matt McCubbin.

Secretary's Report. Terri Wilcox. Mike Powell moved and John Scott seconded
the motion. The secretary's report was approved.

Treasurer's Report. Peter Zaremba. The final balance is $3111. The Newsline
balance is roughly unchanged at $1287. Terri Wilcox motioned and Larry
Posont seconded the motion. The treasurer's report was approved.

Introduction of participating members. There were approximately 35 members
present.

President's Report.

Email address:

President.nfb.mi at gmail.com

Bep federal compliance. Pat Cannon said we were mean spirited in a memo to
his staff and the Commission Board. We must do what is required to make the
Commission an organization supporting blind people. After our convention Pat
stopped the marksmanship class. Dave Robinson and Christine Boone were
fired. The Commission is attempting to intimidate members of the Nfb and the
Bep program. We filed for freedom of information and were denied due to
Governor Privilege.

Actions to help ourselves and the Affiliate. Everyone needs to be on the
Michigan list serve. If you do not have a computer, contact someone who does
quite often in order to be kept updated with the current news of the
affiliate. It is vital that we all work together to make our Michigan
affiliate a success by taking on tasks we enjoy. We just released an open
letter to the Governor because state bureaucracy has kept her insulated from
us, her constituents. New members are being drawn to the Federation as a
result of our increased activity, and by contacting us via the phone and
email. Christine Boone was fired for the excellent marksmanship program. It
changed attitudes of staff and students, giving confidence. Spring propelled
pellet guns were safely used. Ex military and outdoor enthusiasts received
increased confidence from the class. The program ran for two months. Only
two students were in the class at a time. Christine Boone had a disciplinary
hearing to discuss the marksmanship class in which she was permitted to hear
the charges against her, but not permitted to give any defense. An attorney
was present at her second disciplinary hearing but was not allowed to give
any defense. The hearing was merely a formality in which to read the paper
work that was already drawn up for her dismissal. The person who hears
appeals and disciplinary hearings is the same. Cannon knew about the class
but did not back up Christine Boone. Larry talked to Skip Prus about
Christine Boone, Bep, and Dave Robinson. A person sent Pat Cannon an email
urging him not to fight the organized blind movement. The Randolph Sheppard
Program at the National level is interested because of all of the grievances
and violations. There is a subpoena that Cannon fought and it was withdrawn.
Most senior management will retire from the Commission. Christine Boone
might be the next director and Cannon did not want her there. When Cannon
heard about the class he said he thought it was off site. Cannon wants us
kept in line. There will be a major article in the Kalamazoo Gazette and
possibly Grand Rapids Press. Monday at 3-40 we will talk to the training
center students. We were told not to talk about Christine Boone. However, we
have freedom of speech. A picket of the Kalamazoo Training Center is
scheduled on Tuesday. Dave Robinson made the motion and Marcus Simmons
seconded to authorize $150 for expenses for the Kalamazoo picket. It was
approved.

NFB Protest, January 29. The protest was effective. We had around 50 people
there.

Letter to Jim Stokes, Governor's Appointment Secretary concerning future
Commission appointments. Pat Cannon names the Commission Board and Larry has
had two discussions with Jim Stokes. Stokes says if we want someone on the
board we have to say who, but we will only support those we support. No one
wants to rubber stamp Pat Cannon's ideas. The terms of both Mike Gino and
Margaret Wolfe expire in October of 2010. The board does not really take
consumer ideas and use them. Governor's approval is necessary to be on the
board.

Dave Robinson is in the grievance process for his job. When Fred Wurtzel was
the administrator of the Bep there was an occasional grievance. The
grievances were mostly settled at the lowest level. Now, there are many more
grievances and they are not settled until much higher in the process under
the new administrator. The administrators do not care about the Bep
operators. President's Meeting in Baltimore in March, 2010. Larry will be
gone with 25 other state presidents the first week end of March. Please feel
free to present ideas for strengthening the state affiliate.

 Discussion.--Should we break off our monthly meeting with Pat Cannon.
Cannon does not take any action when communicating with us. We need to issue
a press release stating Cannon is not bargaining in good faith. Cannon says
the Nfb is out to destroy the Commission. We have documents on our website
in support of the Commission for the Blind. We want the best possible
services for blind people.

Committee Reports.

Website Committee. Marcus Simmons. There will be a committee meeting over
the phone. Fred Wurtzel spoke with a web developer about fund raising. There
will be a meeting called by Marcus Simmons Tuesday night, February 23.

Fund raising Committee. Fred Wurtzel. Two potential businesses through which
we can raise funds by selling their products on our website are Nature's
Finest Bounty and coffee sales. Larry has had discussions with Champion fund
raising company. Marcus Simmons wrote a sales letter about coffee.

Membership Committee. Mike Powell. A meeting is planned for the next couple
of weeks.

Legislative Committee/Legislative Breakfast, March 4, 2010. Dave Robinson. A
fee of $600 is charged to use the Capitol. There is also a union protest on
March 4. Michael Powell moves we look for another way to address the
legislature. John Scott seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Newsline Report. Peter Zaremba. People are needed in each chapter to handle
Newsline. Lansing State Journal is somewhat improved. The yearly cost is for
Newsline is $65,000. We have funds to cover our part of the Newsline cost
through the end of September. Funds from the Drier Foundation are being held
for us but this will cover only 1/8 of the cost. There are new voices on
newsline. 517-338-4064 is the number to contact for the help line.

Lunch was provided for $5.00 per person. Thank you Andrea Nelson. The
affiliate will cover the rest of the cost.

Mcb/BEP Issues.

Discussion.--Lansing events. Larry Posont. We intend to develop a once a
week protest in front of the Commission or governor's building along with a
flier that explains what we are doing. The Merchant's Division has a meeting
at Ponderosa on Saturday February 27 in order to discuss Bep issues. It was
suggested that we support the kids by being at a table at the Braille-a-thon
on June 22. Riverfront Theater is putting on a play on March 23 called
Enchanted April. There will be a silent auction and refreshments at 6 p.m.
Tickets are $20.

Discussion.--Letter to the Commission Board concerning their responsibility
under Act 260. Mary Wurtzel, Marcus Simmons, and Gere Wilcox, are working on
this letter which should be written by the board meeting on Thursday March
4. The Commission Board has power to set policy and direction. A discussion
occurred about the Commission Board being educated, and urged to fulfill
their responsibility.

Discussion.--Newspaper articles about the protest. Lansing? Kalamazoo? Other
Locations? Since the issues are in the papers, how can the Governor plead
ignorance? Fred Wurtzel twitted Governor Granholm. Presidents  of the
merchants division were removed from their jobs.

Discussion. The 20/20 proposal. Fred Wurtzel. Decision making should happen
without confrontational communication. People can make recommendations and
suggestions but everything has to be positive. There is a Commission board
meeting on March 19 at 9 a.m. We need the board to make favorable changes
for blind citizens. The meeting on March 20 will be run by a facilitator.
Persons involved include: The Commission board, staff of the Bep, the
Elected Operators Committee, and blind citizens such as all of us. Nine Bep
facilities are on the bid line. Operators are being put into the 70 percent
unemployment rate of the blind. Dave Robinson motions we give Larry freedom
to communicate as he deems necessary. Fred suggests phrasing problems as
questions.

Discussion.--Update on College policy January 29. Fred Wurtzel, Elizabeth
Mohnke. The meetings do not seem to resolve issues regarding college policy.
The issue of the memorandum of understanding is still not resolved when both
the college and the Commission decide it is the other's responsibility.
There is still a financial aid issue involving more bureaucracy. The
Commission wants everyone to attend the training center before college. The
time frame is still a problem. Scholarships are a dividing issue. The
Commission board created an ad hoc committee to create a document. This
document has to be read by Cannon and Leamon Jones before it goes back to
the board. NFBMI members are urged to keep attending College Policy
meetings. Elizabeth is attending meetings and doing a good job.

Discussion.--Events at Camp Tuhsmeheta for the first six months of 2010.
March 12-14 Technology week end. Major vendors will network with parents and
students. April will be How to succeed or Career Building week end. It will
be held the week end after Easter. There is no age limit to attend. May is
Gardening week end.

Washington Seminar. Sixteen people attended from Michigan. Those who
attended include: Matt McCubbin, J.J. Meddaugh, Michael Torrez, Tyler
Merren, Diana Mohnke, Ann Petrous, Laura White, Sheila Latham, Fred Wurtzel,
Melinda Latham, and five youth.

 J.J. Meddaugh urges that we follow up on The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement
Act.

Matt McCubbin says there will be a 2-year study on minimum accessibility
standards for appliances. Another bill is being proposed on earnings limits
for Social Security. Diana Mohnke urges us to call, write or email
representatives and senators. Melinda Latham, Fred Wurtzel, and five youth
went to Washington Seminar. Melinda Latham got a $5000 grant which made it
possible for the children to attend Washington Seminar. The kids who
attended are high partial and need blindness education and training.

Old Business.

State Convention. Marcus Simmons motioned and Michael Powell seconds the
Convention be at the Doubletree in Dearborn. The hospitality room is $100.
Room rates are $85. The motion passes.

 Discussion.--Twelve seniors live in one senior high rise so a senior
seminar is suggested for Friday and Saturday. The registration and banquet
can be done electronically on the website.

New Business. The Kalamazoo public libraries worked with the Kalamazoo
Chapter and got Zoom text. They will get other technology. There is a social
gathering for people after the goal ball tournament on February 27. Lansing
Chapter officers include, president, Dave Robinson, Vice President, Diana
Mohnke, Secretary, Mary Wurtzel, Treasurer, Gere Wilcox. Board Members
include: Kimberly Mohnke and Larry Woods.   Major problems exist with
Lansing Community College which include getting books on time and the
accessibility of technology.

Detroit Chapter Officers. John Scott, president, Sarah Norwood, Vice
President, Pauline Smith, Secretary, Shana Smith, Treasurer, Carrie Bradley
and Leonard Gross. Board members. Someone from each chapter is needed to
work together on arranging transportation from Michigan to Dallas for
convention this summer.

Western Wayne County Chapter Officers. Donna Posont, President,

vice president - Marcus Simmons

Treasure - Sharon Kingsbury

Karen Simmons, Secretary, Bob Rehahn, Senora Clifton, Reggie Alvarado, Board
Members. Fund raisers for Western Wayne County involve working concessions
for 10 Tiger games and eating at Senate Coneey Island, where the owner will
donate some of the proceeds to the  chapter.

There were 36 people at the Western Wayne County chapter meeting in
February.

Kalamazoo Chapter Officers. President, Tyler Merren, Secretary, Leanne
Merren, Vice President, Matt McCubbin, Meghan O Roark, Treasurer. Board
members include: J.J. Meddaugh and Christine Boone.

To be an imaginator go to www.raceforindependence.org or call the national
office or contact Diana Mohnke.

The student Division will hopefully have a state scholarship.

Contact Nick Wilcox to get your chapter signed up for a chapter list serve.

For a college scholarship contact Larry Posont.

For a Jernigan Scholarship contact a chapter or state president to write a
letter for you.

The next Board Meeting is on March 4 at 8-30. p.m.

Adjourn after 3 p.m.

Thanks for being involved in the NFB of Michigan. Together, we are changing

what it means to be blind in Michigan.

President, Larry Posont

President.nfb.mi at gmail.com

Vice President, Michael Powell