[nfbmi-talk] newsline story missed

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Sat Nov 6 18:00:03 UTC 2010

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sharing that story with us. Yes, I believe the state could figure a way to fund Newsline.

I am lucky that I can  read Braille but probably 98 percent of the Newsline subscribers cannot. I mail out very few Braille Help Guides.  I read about the cost of taxpayers to the high salaries and benefits of public employees and who is paying for this--all taxpayers including the blind and their families.

The public library reference people say they can only spend 5 minutes with me when it comes to answering a reference question so that rules out them reading me a section of a paper like other public libraries do for the blind.
Like  I  say, Braille has helped some. I get the New York Large Times Large Type Weekly from NLS and synicated columnists weekly from National Braille Press. I am catching a few interesting items in science, business, national and International articles but it certainly does not compare to the Newsline.
I believe that this lack of funding makes things difficult for many older folks and for folks with multiple disabilities--including more and more of us who started out just blind.
I certainly hope NFb and MCB are able to get funding for Newsline through grantts.
I guess I am lucky that I can read Braille. I am far from an expert but I figure if that is the only way to get the info then what else can I do.

My rehab teacher at college that was teaching me braille said he would not teach me contracted Braille  because I would never use it. I should have argued with him but I didn't and also I was put in the class for kids that could see some at the school for the Blind like many of my classmates were who are now totally blind.

On another subject, I finally got my left prothesis fixed so in case Larry and I are on TV, it will be straight this time. It took Ken and I visiting my surgeon in order to get them to fix it. Ken had me down there many times but it never got fixed until like I said we were down there just Thursday for the whole day.

Georgia