[nfbmi-talk] minutes, October 21, 8:30 P.M.

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 8 14:14:12 UTC 2010

minutes, October 21, 8:30 P.M.

Quorum yes Larry Posont, Marcus Simmons, Mike P        owell, Peter Zaremba, Melinda Latham, Terri Wilcox.

Secretary's Report, Terri Wilcox. Marcus Simmons made a motion to accept the Secretary's report as emailed. Mike Powell seconded the
motion. The Secretary's report was approved.

Treasurer's Report, Peter Zaremba. $2000 is in the treasury. The Solicitation License is complete accept for paper work which has to
be signed by Larry Posont.

There has been no word on imagination fund grants.

Terri Wilcox makes a motion to accept the Treasurer's Report. Marcus Simmons seconds the motion. The Treasurer's Report is approved.

State Convention. The agenda will be completed tomorrow. Minor last minute issues with the hotel will be fixed tomorrow. Pat Cannon
will attend and answer questions from the membership. We will have questions in print and Braille. Mike Powell will moderate. An
individual from Blind Industries and Services of Maryland is speaking. Registration has been difficult. Peter Zaremba says there was
a spread sheet as of last Saturday showing paid registrations. There have been problems with the registration and payment. Ask for
Mimi at the hotel number which is 313-336-3340. Do not use the 800 number. Tables are needed at the back of the room for literature.
Larry Posont believes there is a Wi-Fi connection. The Detroit chapter is registering on Saturday. Chicken, roast beef and
vegetarian are being served at the banquet.

President's Report, Larry Posont.

Mike Powell, Geer Wilcox, and Larry Posont met with Pat Cannon. The meeting was direct. The Commission for the Blind gave a grant
for Newsline for $20,000. They agreed verbally and via email in three areas. We got the $20,000. We may get another $20,000 in
January. We want to try and go to the Public Service Commission to get a state wide fund raising program for Newsline. Sometimes,
enough money is left over to provide for a paid person to run/promote Newsline.

The contract is with the National office. Then, the money is sent to the affiliate to run Newsline. There is intent to raise funds
through foundations or the Lions. The Commission may not be able to send any more money than $20,000 at a time. Everyone at the
meeting wanted Newsline. Larry Posont stated that we had to communicate with  Pat Cannon in writing, and bring witnesses to meetings
with him  because he cannot be trusted. The governor and the senate got in a fight about many appointments, including those of the
Commission board. The blind community believes the Commission is poorly run. There is an email circulating that looks for people to
run the "advisory board" of the Commission for the Blind. The NFB is run by volunteers. The Commission staff are well paid. The
senate did not like what the governor was doing. There was no words minced.

Law Suit A long discussion about the law suit occurred. We got a large bill for the lawyer. We are approaching the National office
about this.

Update on Newsline. Long term funding is of greatest concern. Pat Cannon said he would give the NFB contacts for foundations. If we
work with the Service Commission, money is used for deaf and blind individuals. A penny or two is collected on each phone in the
state. Enough is collected in the relay system to allow for Newsline. The law was reauthorized in 2004 or 2005. The division on
deafness was unwilling to work with us. Hopefully, Pat Cannon can use his influence on our behalf. The Public Service Commission was
not interested in working with us four or five years ago.

Youth Outreach. We are approved to do background checks through the Michigan Police Department. Anyone who is working with youth
must have a background check completed.

 youthslammi at yahoo.com

Melinda Latham is working on clues for the scavenger hunt. Melinda Latham ordered sweat shirts. The choice include: yellow with
black writing, black hoodie with neon green writing, tie died with NFB Whozit. The old school sweat shirts are $30. New school sweat
shirts are $35. Melinda Latham needs a male mentor for two youth. Five kids were approved through Low Incidence Outreach. Another
five or six kids will come for the scavenger hunt which costs $20 per child. The time for the scavenger hunt is 7 to 9-30. Kids from
ten to eighteen may attend.

New Business: The questions and answers with Pat Cannon will be recorded at convention. It can be made available. Questions need to
come in. The website will be up in time for Convention. We will sell fifty bags of coffee at the convention. There will be a
hospitality room. Peter Zaremba asks about resolutions. Coffee will be available in hospitality. Mike Powell makes a motion to
adjourn. Marcus Simmons seconds the motion.

 Adjourn at 9-46.

Thank you for working together to change

what it means to be blind in Michigan.

Email: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com