[nfbmi-talk] this is all too dateded

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Nov 9 02:19:34 UTC 2010

Observation:  MCB funds I&E projects that are primarily recreational in nature, as opposed to directly linked to employment.  I&E funds are for the development and implementation of innovative approaches to expand and improve the provision of VR services to individuals with disabilities.  An example of an I&E project could be a pilot work readiness and job coaching program for transition-age youths.

MCB has been using I&E funds to cover expenditures related to the Newsline for the Blind, which provides access to a variety of news media for persons who are blind or visually-impaired, including vacancy announcements and employment related classified advertisements.  This service would be better provided as a service to groups pursuant to 34 CFR 361.49.

Recommendations:  RSA recommends that MCB:

5.1              transfer funding of Newsline from an I&E project to services for groups under 34 CFR 361.49; and

5.2              ensure any projects funded under I&E are employment-focused, consistent with 34 CFR 361.35.