[nfbmi-talk] letter to Joe Sibley about Newsline funding

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 02:14:19 UTC 2010

Hi,

Great letter.

Warmest Regards,

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org]
On Behalf Of Larry Posont
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 6:37 PM
To: NFBofMichigan List
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] letter to Joe Sibley about Newsline funding

Dear Fellow Federationists:

            I sent a letter to Joe Sibley concerning Newsline Funding. I
include it below. There is a reluctance on the part of
MCBVI to communicate with us due to our law suit with the Michigan
Commission for the Blind.

20812 Ann Arbor Trail

Dearborn Heights, MI 48127

September 28, 2010

Dear Joe Sibley:

           Thank you very much for writing me concerning your views on
Newsline Funding. I will address several of your concerns at
this time.

           You indicate that the NFB uses Newsline as a marketing tool.
Such conduct would not be consistent with the purpose of
Newsline, which is to disseminate print journalism and information that is
not readily available to blind persons through any other
means.  In other words, Newsline is exclusively an information dissemination
tool.  The MCBVI is welcomed to have its own meeting
information posted on this service, as do some chapters of the NFB of
Michigan.  As a matter of fact, information about the National
ACB conference already appears on Newsline each summer.    It is important
to note that listeners who wish to be informed of the
times and locations of area local chapter meetings, for MCBVI, local Lions
clubs, NFB of Michigan or any other organizations, must
select the appropriate category, so this kind of information is not
compulsory.

You state that,  "It is my understanding that there has never been a clear
breakdown of the budget of NFB Newsline which would be
necessary to approve financial support at this level. I have also spoken
with individuals more learned than I that the budget you
propose seems excessive for the actual cost of operating NFB Newsline."

It is true that the Commission has not been given an accounting of the
distribution of funds in the exercise of the Newsline
contract.  This is only and absolutely because the Michigan Commission for
the Blind does not ask for an accounting from any of its
contractors.  Furthermore, the Commission does not even have a mechanism for
monitoring the contracts that it funds in any given
year.  We certainly believe that it would be far more responsible for the
Commission to monitor or review all of its contracts on an
annual basis, and as soon as a system is developed to do this, the NFB will
immediately provide an accounting of the costs for
Newsline.  You are also invited to inquire of the Commission, about the
amount of money that was actually spent on Newsline in 2009
and 2008.  If an accurate accounting exists you will see that this service
was indeed funded at a level that is approximately 19
percent under the contract budget for both of these years.

Although the cost of the Newsline contract is listed as
$80,000 annually, the actual charges each year generally amount to something
in the neighborhood of $65,000.  Thus, the organization
charges only actual costs.  It does not collect the entire contract fee.

 You state, "I am concerned that the NFB of Michigan is asking the Michigan
Commission for the Blind to support one of it's programs
at the same time the organization has a law suit pending against the
commission."

           Law suits should not shut down the business of governmental
entities. Individuals can agree to disagree. However, a
refusal to talk and interact because of a lawsuit is not professional, and
does not solve problems. It is customary for businesses
to continue interactions during pending litigation. A refusal to do so has
the potential to close down the business of one or both
organizations. The Federation's law suit has nothing to do with Newsline, or
commission service delivery of any kind.  The suit was
filed against members of the Board, and is solely concerned with the manner
in which Board meetings are conducted.

           You state, "I am troubled by the action at the recent Consumer
Involvement Council meeting where the council was
pressured to support this action. I am also concerned that the chair of the
CIC allowed NFB members who are not on the council to
speak to this issue at times other than public comment, adding additional
pressure to the other council members."

           I have been urging the Commission Board and all committees to
allow for open and honest discussion. This open discussion
occurred at the Consumer Involvement Council meeting, not just for members
of the NFB, but for all interested individuals who wanted

to express their views to the council. Open, honest discussions often do not
follow strictly regulated formats.

Sincerely

Larry Posont, President

517-482-1800