[nfbmi-talk] Newsline info

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Sat Oct 9 02:49:26 UTC 2010

Hi, Please let members  and  others know that  there are still 3 magazines on Newsline. I know this is very limited.

Here is the new brochure. The info is also explained probably better at
www.nfbnewslineonline.org

Best,

Georgia

Front of tri-fold brochure: (section 1)

National Federation of the Blind NFB-NEWSLINE®

Unable to read the newspaper?

We have the answer!

FREE Access to Newspapers, Magazines, and TV Listings on the phone, on the Web, and on the go!  Call (866) 504-7300

www.nfbnewsline.org

Language across sections 2-4

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR NEWSPAPERS (all caps)

Best Source of in-depth National and International News and Analysis and often the only source for Local and Community News and Events.

Language for section 2

Have you been forced to give up reading the newspaper due to blindness or a visual impairment?

Do you want access to the same information about news and current events at the same time as your sighted friends, family, and coworkers?

Does your career demand that you keep up with the latest developments in your field?

Are you a sports fan, political buff, or arts enthusiast who needs detailed coverage in a specific area?

Would you like to learn what's on TV tonight?

Language for sections 3&4 (covers both sections)

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free electronic service that gives any blind, visually impaired, or print- disabled person access to newspapers, magazines, and TV listings 24 hours a day, 7 days a week isomg a touch-tone telephone, on the Web, or by download to a digital talking-book player or MP3-playing device.

NFB-NEWSLINE® allows any blind or visually impaired person to listen to TODAY'S newspaper TODAY over the telephone for FREE, and gives access to up to two weeks of TV listings in advance. You can choose the topic and articles of greatest interest to you, at the time and place of your choosing.

With over 300 newspapers and magazines, you can choose from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, and hundreds of local newspapers including some in Spanish.  We offer a wide array of magazines, including The New Yorker, Economist, Science News, Rolling Stone, Time (including Time For Kids), Smithsonian, and all three AARP publications.  You can also access national and state Associated Press and United Press International wire feeds to access breaking news stories.  With special state information channels, you can also obtain information such as news from state agencies and organizations, election information, and grocery ads.  You may also choose to have your newspapers sent to your e-mail address.

How can I sign up?

If you're a patron of a Talking Book Library, call your library to sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE®  over the phone.  If not, then visit our Web site (www.nfbnewsline.org) to fill out an application online or download one and mail it in; or call the National Federation of the Blind at (866) 504-7300.  Ask for a Demo Code to try it out.

NFB-NEWSLINE® is FREE-information and materials are available in Braille and audio formats.

(inside sections, 5-10, on NFB-NEWSLINE® Online)

Using Modern-Age Technology to Deliver the World into Your Hands

Web News on Demand Offers:

§         A secure, text-only Web site

§         The ability to search throughout the entirety of a publication

§         Easy navigation, even for those with limited knowledge of accessible technology software

§         The ability to e-mail a full publication, a section, or single article thereof

§         Unrivaled and immediate access to a breaking news story

NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket:

§         Uses dynamic software to download desired publications directly to digital talking-book player

§         Works with devices like the Victor Reader Stream, Icon/Braille+, BookSense, and BookPort Plus

§         Offers increased portability and flexibility

§         Offers plug-and-play functionality

§         Is easy to use, even for those who are less than technologically savvy

§         Allows for easy selection of sections and articles with the use of DAISY-standard formatting

Podable News

Podable News provides publication content in an audio format so that subscribers can use devices such as an iPod or other MP3-playing device to access their favorite newspapers and magazines.  Also, with Podable News you now have the ability to create your own "paper" by selecting only the sections that really interest you.  If you like to read USA Today's sports coverage, but prefer the Wall Street Journal's technology reporting, and you never miss the New Yorker's Shouts and Murmurs column, you'll really appreciate NFB-NEWSLINE® 's innovative functionality using your MP3-playing device.

KeyStream

This initiative streams NFB-NEWSLINE® publication content over the Internet, allowing for the same usability and flexibility as the traditional, phone-based service, but is accessed with your computer.  KeyStream is quite easy to use, even for those with very little computer experience.

How You Can Experience the New Initiatives

Visit our new Web site (www.nfbnewslineonline.org) to read more about all of the groundbreaking new initiatives, including information on how to access NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket, Web News on Demand, Podable News, and KeyStream.  Also available are software downloads with instructions and how-to guides for each new feature.

To access these features, visit www.nfbnewslineonline.org-

§         Select the "Log In" link

§         Enter your identification and security codes

§         Select the initiative of your choice

If you are a current subscriber you do not need to create a new account or obtain new codes; your current codes will allow you to access NFB-NEWSLINE® Online and the new features.  If you've forgotten your codes, please call us for assistance.  If you are not a current subscriber, please contact us so that we may set up an account for you.

(Section 11)

Who Can Benefit?

Anyone who cannot read conventional newsprint can qualify for this free service.

Blind individuals can now gain access to the information in newspapers and on television at the same time as their sighted colleagues, friends, and family members.

Blind professionals can now converse on relevant topics critical to their professions and social functions.

Many seniors have lost enough vision that reading the daily newspapers is no longer possible. They will enjoy being able once again to participate actively in community affairs.

Blind children are now able to research their own school assignments and do homework independently.

Anyone with a physical disability who is unable to turn a page can qualify for NFB-NEWSLINE®.

NFB-NEWSLINE®

200 East Wells Street

            at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230

(866) 504-7300

www.nfbnewsline.org

(back of brochure, section 12)

TESTIMONIALS FROM NFB-NEWSLINE® SUBSCRIBERS

"You've got all the newspapers and magazines that I would ever want to read!"

-Judge David Tatel, Virginia

"It's a wonderful service. I am delighted to be back in touch with the world."

-Ethel Kurland, 91-year-old woman, Idaho

"NFB-NEWSLINE® is fantastic.  I get my papers via e-mail, usually before my neighbor. Love the hourly AP updates, and I very much appreciate the ability to search for breaking news stories on Web News on Demand."

-David DeNotaris, blind professional, New Jersey

"As a sophomore with a double major in Political Science and International Affairs, the variety of news sources offered by NFB-NEWSLINE® really helps me find material for my coursework.  With NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket I can access this vital information at any time, day or night, allowing me to read the news in accordance with my busy schedule."

-Nijat Worley, student, Colorado

"It's practical, it's easy, it's reliable.  If you can use a telephone you can use NFB-NEWSLINE®."

-Patrick Leahy, District of Columbia

"I don't like sound bytes; I like to read in detail.  I like to read news stories that provide full context, and NFB-NEWSLINE® lets me do that."

-Denise Avant, Ohio