[nfbmi-talk] Pedestrian Signal in Ann Arbor

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Mon Oct 11 15:21:44 UTC 2010

I wnoder if this is accessible? This is one of those times where this may be prefered.

October 8, 2010 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), in collaboration
with the city of Ann Arbor, will begin installing a new High-intensity Activated
cross WaLK, or HAWK signal, at the corner of Huron Street (I-94 Business Loop) and
Third/Chapin Street in downtown Ann Arbor next week. The HAWK signal will be the
first type of traffic control device established on a state trunkline in Michigan.
Work on the signal is expected to begin on Tuesday, Oct. 12. During construction,
there will be a single-lane closure on Huron Street during off-peak hours between
9 a.m. and 3 p.m. The signal is expected to be full operational by the end of October.
'This signal provides a safe, protected pedestrian crossing for residents at this
busy intersection," said Mark Geib, MDOT Brighton Transportation Service Center manager.
"We are excited to work with the city of Ann Arbor and other local partners on this
innovative new traffic control device."
The HAWK signal will only be used for pedestrian crossings. When a person wishes
to cross the street, a button is pushed activating the signal. The new signal will
then go through a series of yellow and red sequences requiring motorists to stop
for pedestrians. The signal will then go dark, allowing motorists to continue through
the intersection until the button is activated again.
"The city has long recognized the need for enhancing safety at this crossing," said
Eli Cooper, Transportation Program Manager for the City of Ann Arbor. "With the relocation
of the YMCA, combined with the senior residential complex and nearby park all within
a short walk across the street, the need for providing a safe crossing for pedestrians
became a priority. We are pleased to see MDOT making this transportation investment
to increase the safety and livability of our community."
Information on the new HAWK signal is available on MDOT's Web site at www.michigan.gov/mdot

Source Michigan Radio
http://michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9620_11057-244856--,00.html
.